Vintage Wharfedale W70's

k7cid@me.com

I just picked these Wharfedale W70's up for $5.00 (pair). The back of the speaker has no wire poles. Only small holes. Was this normal? Do I take them apart? I'm sorry if this sounds like a lame question. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up to my vintage Pioneer SX 727. The speaker cases are in excellent condition. Not sure about anything else.
Speaker2.jpg

Speaker3.jpg

speaker1.jpg

The holes are exactly 5/8" apart. They are marked on each speaker with a red felt pen dot. I think the holes maybe threaded???

The holes are exactly 5/8" apart. They are marked on each speaker with a red felt pen dot. I think the holes maybe threaded???

Could be screw terminals that are missing the screws. I hate screw terminals - Rat Shack has some inexpensive binding posts that make decent replacements.

The jacks are oem stock. The British bananna plug was also used on test equipment before the current standard was adopted. I was lucky in that my W70s set that also has the setup came with the plugs. When you open them there is more than enough room to change them out to something else and I have thought about threading through them a set of speaker terminals. When you open them change out the cap and if it is a single cap crossover, my experience is that polys are not the better way to go as it lends a harshness to the tweeter even after several hundred of hours. Go oil caps. Yes, a bit expensive but for what you paid for them, you'll still have a heck of a bargain.

Don't push them hard, in the range of a good 10-20 watt amp with no clipping on peaks and they will reward you.

The i.d. of the jack is smaller than the current banana plug. Some old timers might have some kicking around in their junk pile but they would be hard to find on this side of the pond. Not sure about in the U.K.

Nope. I have the same set and they are as I described. They are not threaded in any manner.

I don't believe those are banana plugs! I just picked up a set of their smaller brothers, the W60D, and mine has screws protruding from those holes with inverted thumbscrew nuts holding them in place. When I started to take them loose the screws started to pull back into the speaker box, so yours might be the same. Looks like you'll have to pull the back to retrive the screws and leadwires..

If its of any comfort, I've got to pull the back on mine too, to fix a broken lead wire.

Are W70's worth 100+ per pair if the cabs are decent?! I have DQ10's and like them. I also have to AR3a's and some old large advents. And then some Wharfedale Evo 40's.

I paid about that much a couple of years ago for mine. I did get the acc'y leg stand with them and the price was delivery at my door by the seller. With inflation and that they marque and series is getting more recognition today I suspect the relative value has increased so $100 should be about fair.

hey I guess those are threaded poles to which you will attach the speaker wires but you'll need screws of the proper side? do I se threads inside those holes? I'm guessing that the red dot is there to indicate polarity, which you have to observe to keep the speakers in phase.

Some describe these as ugly speakers. I think they are very classy looking. The ones you got look like really nice. I own no British speakers and Ive been looking for a pair of Wharfedales to experience the British sound. This was a great score.
Let us know how they sound when you figure out how to hook them up.

Nice find.

You will love the sound once you are able to hook them up.

My guess is your pair were assembled in England. Mine were put together in Canada, and they are just like my Fishers and Jensens with the posts and tone controls common to the era.

I drive mine with a Luxman LV-111, and they can put out a ton of sound when I crank them way up to the 9 0'clock level lol.

Welcome to AK from a relatively new guy

Back
Top Bottom