Vintage Wharfedales And Modern Tube Gear - Who's Done It?

Gang-Twanger

Resident Wharfedaliophool
Felt it was time to get into this, as it has not really been discussed in detail in the past. Who is running their W60's, W70's, or even W90's with modern tube amps. My guess is, there is a fair share to be mined there, and yet, I don't hear much talk about. Wharfedales sound great with all sorts of vintage gear, but I don't know too many people who are running their old Wharfies with amps and/or preamps from the past 30 years or so, or even '70's high-end tube stuff (rather than the usual early to mid '60's fare). I'd be interested to hear how a pair of W90's would sound with 30wpc of Audio Research, or one of those modern boutique-style flea amps (or not so-flea). Wharfedales of old do very-well with TOTL vintage tube gear,, so I gotta' wonder how they react to modern TOTL tube rigs, like tube monoblocks and such. I know some do extremely-well, but I'm sure there are a few that don't really make a good match. Wharfedales definitely reward quality in the case of tube-ERA gear, but I bet there's some truth to it with modern tube gear as well.

Anyway, ...Old Wharfies and modern tube rigs... Who got 'em?

Last edited:
Yeah, I would like to know this as well. And higher power tube gear for specifics. I drive my other speakers with high power/high current SS gear but think some day I would like to convert to tubes that could drive those similar demand.

I tried my w60s with my Musical Paradise MP301 and I didn't like the combo. Speaker placement in my room is limited- the w60s are sitting in a bookcase- but the bass was really lacking. The W60s sound way better with my Sansui A555 and the MP301 sounds much better with a pair of KLH32s.

I tried my w60s with my Musical Paradise MP301 and I didn't like the combo. Speaker placement in my room is limited- the w60s are sitting in a bookcase- but the bass was really lacking. The W60s sound way better with my Sansui A555 and the MP301 sounds much better with a pair of KLH32s.

Interesting you should say that. I sold my Musical Paradise MP-301 mk3 to a friend of mine who runs it with his W60s and he loves the combination. They have Genalex KT66s as power tubes and RCA 6SJ7s for the pre-amp. YMMV I suppose. :)

I've run Wharfedale W70 (Radio People) on Quicksilver Mini Mite (25 watts/channel) and EL34 (40 watts/channel) mono amps.

Worked just fine. Very well, in fact.

I can see the BRAND of tubes having an effect on the resultant sound. A modern amp/preamp (or just preamp) with a warmish, bloomy sound would probably sound better with Wharfedales than a tube rig with Telefunken tubes throughout, but that's just a guess.

Anyway, keep 'em coming if ya' got 'em... This is good info.

I have heard some W90's with a Primaluna dialogue 2 that sounded SWEET!I'm actually considering this pairing myself. I know the Primaluna has that asian thang going on,however they have a very nice pedigree and build quality is awesome.Check it out.I'm currently using the 800c as well. I'm looking for a change too.

I have heard some W90's with a Primaluna dialogue 2 that sounded SWEET!I'm actually considering this pairing myself. I know the Primaluna has that asian thang going on,however they have a very nice pedigree and build quality is awesome.Check it out.I'm currently using the 800c as well. I'm looking for a change too.
I love my 800C, but it's a tempermental SOB (That volume knob/power switch, for one). Still, it's got that classic sound that I love. I just want to try something with a little more resolution and see how far I can take the Super 3 tweeters. I really like the Westinghouse 7591 sound, but I want to see what else is out there. Maybe something with EL34's, although I'm not 100% sure that's the right direction. Just a little variety, that's all.

I love my 800C, but it's a tempermental SOB (That volume knob/power switch, for one). Still, it's got that classic sound that I love. I just want to try something with a little more resolution and see how far I can take the Super 3 tweeters. I really like the Westinghouse 7591 sound, but I want to see what else is out there. Maybe something with EL34's, although I'm not 100% sure that's the right direction. Just a little variety, that's all.

hey GT... kind of a tube newb myself, but have you thought about heading down the SET amplifier path... guys on the tube forum would know more, but there seems to be a lot of interest in SET amps and what they deliver... not sure how the W90's would match up, the SET guys would know more... if I didn't have those KEF 105.1's to drive I would be digging deeper into the SET thing... I'm afraid I need some juice in a tube amp for them.

hey GT... kind of a tube newb myself, but have you thought about heading down the SET amplifier path... guys on the tube forum would know more, but there seems to be a lot of interest in SET amps and what they deliver... not sure how the W90's would match up, the SET guys would know more... if I didn't have those KEF 105.1's to drive I would be digging deeper into the SET thing... I'm afraid I need some juice in a tube amp for them.

Have thought about it, but my three biggest worries are flea-sized power, high cost, and learning curve. iI wouldn't mind giving it a try. I'm not jumping into that pool without some swimming lessons though.

Hello all, just past the 200 hr mark on my '63 W90's run off a Jolida SJ202 40w/channel Svetlana EL34's and NOS RFT pre amp tubes.
The Wharfdales sound great through my SX737 but through the Jolida..well.. my speaker search is over! Still havent even re capped yet.

i run w60,s with a musical paradise mp-301 mk3 every now and then. these sound fantastic together sitting on a bar for near field listening using a technics sp-15. even with the 60,s at a four foot height the sound really tanks from 5 feet out. on the plus side when your right up on them the music actually sounds like its coming from between the speakers.

Just picked up W60s from original owners son. I am sure a recap is in order and cabs need sanding and redone. I will be using them with a Norh SE9. I got to figure out what caps to buy and how I should sand the cabs so I don't take off to much veneer.

Back
Top Bottom