Vintage wire lesson needed

rbspop

rbs55pop
I have a 9100 integrated that has this wire from a switch to a input jack.Wire.jpg Three questions: Why is the wire shielded like this? is there somewhere to get some? And lastly what would be a good substitute wire?

Why is the wire shielded like this?
Its good grade audio wire. Eliminates possibility of picking up induced noise from DC and AC unshielded wiring within the 9100.As well as EMI from the immediate environment

I have been known to use wire from parts units. If I just needed a color coordinated short piece of cable.

pink is one wire, and one signal, shielded
white is one wire, and another signal, shielded
the bare wire picks up the shields from both wires
it's usually connected to ground, but NOT necessarily at both ends. That can cause ground loops - depending upon the circuit.
There can be a small ceramic disk cap between the shield and the chassis if it is a external input.

you can use any audio or video cable.. like the left right audio RCA cables. They are shielded the same way.. Of course you can get cheap and expensive ones. Those in the picture look pretty standard.
If it is a phono input you may want to use a video cable. Much lower capacitance. Like the ones from a component video cable.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for their suggestions. I found a beater 9100 for $35 at a yard sale that I can cannibalize and then down the road perhaps rehab it also. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom