Vinyl... CD... MP3's... HD downloads... I'm so confused!

kattz

Inconveniencing electrons every day...
Subscriber
Hi, all,

So... (insert pregnant pause here)

I have hearing problems. Because of this, a recent playback on vinyl from a friend set me off onto pursuing vinyl again after stopping all vinyl purchases in 1988. CD's and MP3's, but especially MP3's, sound atrociously flat and shallow to my hearing.

I was playing music until recently through a Klipsch 5.1 system meant for AV, and using headphones. Power and processing was through a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TSX receiver, sourced from PC in either WMA lossless or MP3.

Now, I have a vinyl rig comprised of a Technics SL-D3 turntable using an Audio Technica stylus. It's the purple one - sorry, don't have the model number at present. This runs through a Sansui 9090DB receiver to a pair of Bowers and Wilkins DM330 speakers via Monster speaker cable. I set up my new (to me) vinyl rig, and pulled out some of my own old vinyl and bought some others. Oh, yeah, sounds great. REALLY great, to me.

Vinyl sounds really good, but as others warned me, it has the hiss and pop of, well, analog dirt. However, even then the music sounds really good.

Trying to isolate the source of the crappy CD/file music, I connected my Pioneer Elite SACD player to the Sansui via the AUX inputs. Burned some 24/96 FLAC files to disc and played that through the Sansui. This was Wayman Tisdale's "Hang Time".

The FLAC sounded "ok", better than MP3 but not vinyl. I realize that MP3's sound horrible because of compression artifacts, so didn't bother testing MP3's.

Next, I pulled out a CD from a packed box (moving soon)and put it on the SACD player. This was a known analog remastered to digital recording of Boston's self titled first album. Again, played through the Sansui.

It was better. Not vinyl, because I have the same album in vinyl and the two are markedly different in sound. For a real test, I had my eight-year-old daughter listen with me - all kids hearing is super unreal. She thought the vinyl sounded better.

Before the fur starts flying and a mod has to step in, let me state precisely what this post is about. It is not "is vinyl better than CD (or digital)?" We'll be here all frickin' year eating popcorn and watching the fireworks were this the case.

I admit that vinyl has it's strengths and weaknesses, as does all media. However, vinyl really has a "shelf life", and I need my music to last me another 30 years and then I'm taking a dirt nap more than likely.

I plan on keeping some vinyl around that was originally mastered on vinyl for vinyl, and using my turntable as necessary.

I also plan on keeping my Marantz and Sansui receivers and some good analog-purposed speakers like the DM330's. Home theatre is home theatre and not for music in my opinion. Others will argue this point. Please don't do so here. In the context of the post, this argument is not relevant.

So, here are the two questions at the root of this post:

1. Do I maintain my growing collection of CD's (1467 at present) or move to downloading HD audio? ($$$)

2. Regardless of the choice above, would the purchase and use of a really good DAC (not a headphone unit, but a Marantz NA8005 or other that is purposed for audiophile use) be preferable, or do I spend the kids' college money and get something like an Oppo BDP-105D that has a whole lot going on in it? Remember that the purpose of the hardware is to get the shift to the lower threshold of analog vinyl and eliminate the tininess of CD's as it relates to my hearing loss.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:
As far as question number 1: You can rip al your CD's to a hard drive, either in FLAC or WAV then you won't have to maintain them any more. Just make sure you have them backed up on a second drive in case the first one goes south. A freeware program like Exact Audio Copy will take care if the heavy lifting for you. It will take a little time but when I did that it had gotten down to taking only about 15 minutes from start of rip to FLAC being stored with all the metadata on each of the CD's.

As far as question number 1: You can rip al your CD's to a hard drive, either in FLAC or WAV then you won't have to maintain them any more. Just make sure you have them backed up on a second drive in case the first one goes south. A freeware program like Exact Audio Copy will take care if the heavy lifting for you. It will take a little time but when I did that it had gotten down to taking only about 15 minutes from start of rip to FLAC being stored with all the metadata on each of the CD's.

+1 to BenWab3

I still use vinyl and buy it regularly. I also buy CD's and rip them to FLAC using EAC as well. I also occasionally buy Hi-Res downloads although I'm finding some new Vinyl comes with a Hi-Res download included (Steven Wilson "Hand Cannot Erase" for example).

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a streaming device. As well as a full size streamer (Pioneer N50) I use a Raspberry Pi with a HiFiBerry which is an add on DAC that uses Burr Brown chip, whole unit runs off a phone charger and costs less than £70. Just hang your USB drive off it, connect it to a spare aux input on your amp and you are good to go right up to 192k 24bit. :banana::music::thmbsp:

Sounds like you like the signature sonic "house" sound of pre-recorded vinyl. If you play modern recorded albums on vinyl ... do you still like the sound?

If you perform needle-drops of vinyl to CD, MP3 or Flac ... do you still hear the signature "house" sound of vinyl? Is it gone?

As for me ... I can tell the difference between pre-recorded (studio) tracks (60's & 70's vinyl for example) on pre-recorded LP & CD.

When I start to burn/rip at home etc from the original source... not so much.

15 year ago ... back during the dollar bin bonanza days ... listening to boat loads of vinyl. Got to the point where I didn't like the sound of Redbook CDs. Solved that problem eventually by the use of a tubed output stage CD player. Fast forward to today ... I've gotten use to the modern mastering signature "house" sound of music .... I still enjoy old school vinyl, but also like CDs and even high bit rate MP3 (streaming & DAP use).

Maybe continuing to try different audio gear will eventually give you the results you want.

Last edited:
So, here are the two questions at the root of this post:

1. Do I maintain my growing collection of CD's (1467 at present) or move to downloading HD audio? ($$$)

2. Regardless of the choice above, would the purchase and use of a really good DAC (not a headphone unit, but a Marantz NA8005 or other that is purposed for audiophile use) be preferable, or do I spend the kids' college money and get something like an Oppo BDP-105D that has a whole lot going on in it? Remember that the purpose of the hardware is to get the shift to the lower threshold of analog vinyl and eliminate the tininess of CD's as it relates to my hearing loss.

1. If you already own them, you own them, so keep them (unless storage space is really a consideration). As already mentioned, I'd rip them to a computer drive for easy access, but I wouldn't get rid of them. No point in replacing stuff with expensive HD downloads, and you can even rip vinyl to digital storage (a little time consuming, but it is what it is). I transfer a lot of vinyl to R2R.

2. I am of the unpopular opinion as to not being impressed by the OPPO--it does many things, but the more functions you try to cram into one box, the more compromises that have to be made, even at a relatively high price point--and do not perceive this as an issue of disparaging price--leave that argument alone--I'll gladly dump a few grand into a piece of audio gear if it impresses me.

If you like the flexibility of digital, but desire a more "analogue sound", I'd go with a tube buffer and/or tube buffered DAC like my GF TubeDAC 11.

You may even want to simply re-visit your choice of speakers, as some are much more "clinical" and others are much more "laid back" or "warm".

And understand that with you have described as "hearing issues", what sounds good to you may not sound good to others--all that matters is if it sounds good to YOU--you are the one paying for it and listening to it.

Well, at 50K fine a song? I would rather keep the CD's in storage than take the chance of getting caught. That is why I don't like software that catalogs and reports back to the software author what you have......

Ripping a CD to a hard drive for your own use and misplacing or losing the CD is more then a few steps removed from ripping files and sharing them on Kazaa or other file sharing site.:nono:

I don't see any reason to trash the cd's either but I wouldn't be concerned about the RIAA beating a path to his door.

Hmm...

I burned all of my CD's to WMA Pro lossless and remember the two months it took. However, they were not burned to FLAC, so it could account for what's missing in the sound. I do listen to an iPod tied in to an Alpine head unit in the car, and have to tweak the EQ pretty hard for the music to sound acceptable.

I keep hearing about tube buffers and need to look into these.

Thanks, guys, always open to input!

Kevin

Do not copy this CD or there will surely be a sting operation
The-Police-Greatest-Hits-431905.jpg

Ha! Very humorous. Then I would have to listen to the police afterwards, I presume...

For me it's simple. With a nice Arcam CD player, and nice system in my truck, CD's are my go-to medium most of the time. But I still like to spin vinyl, and spend about 50% of my home listening doing so. I just feel so much better having physical versions of my music I can hold in my hands and feel and see. That's just me.

Hi, I'm new to this AUDIO KARMA and was looking for information on FLAC file recording. I notice the mention of FLAC file recording in this forum so I hope you don't mind me intruding on this thread. First is it worth the effort to record vinyl to FLAC, and what software can be used?

Hi, I'm new to this AUDIO KARMA and was looking for information on FLAC file recording. I notice the mention of FLAC file recording in this forum so I hope you don't mind me intruding on this thread. First is it worth the effort to record vinyl to FLAC, and what software can be used?
you would be better off just starting a new thread with your question instead of hijacking this one, which is over a year old anyways. welcome!

Back
Top Bottom