Vinyl (LPs): Do the outermost tracks sound better than the innermost ones?

filmis

I've been listening to a record lately (Streisand's The Third Album, if you must know) and I made an observation: the outermost tracks (e.g. away from the center) have less noise (e.g. crackling) in the high registers than the innermost tracks, where it is very noticeable, especially on the vocals. E.g., there is a lot of crackly noise when the vocals are heard; the closer to the center of the record, the more of it there seems to be.

I was wondering why this might be; granted, it's a record that's not in the best shape, but I've owned a linear tracking turntable like this one before and never noticed this with my other records. I know when 45s were engineered the appropriate diameter was mathematically derived (on what, I don't exactly know). In other words, is there a technical reason why the sound might be worse, or do I just have a dirty record, or something?

Miss-tracking inner grooves suggests a need for cartridge alignment for a pivoted-arm table. Perhaps lubing the guide for your linear-tracker?

Miss-tracking inner grooves suggests a need for cartridge alignment for a pivoted-arm table. Perhaps lubing the guide for your linear-tracker?
This is a good point. The cartridge also isn't in the best shape, as the needle is not centered on it (due to some mechanical negligence on behalf of the previous owner). Sounds like I am better off getting a new cartridge. Any suggestions? It's a P-type cartridge and the current one on it is an Audio Technica PM9000.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to replace just the needle in such a cartridge? Or is there further alignment involved that may be best left to some skilled technician?

Last edited:
Information is packed more tightly together on the inner grooves. Tracing them is more difficult. Damaging them is more likely. This is true even with a linear tonearm. Pivoted tonearms compound the problem, because ANY alignment is a compromise.

Been there done that ... IMHO & experience the more
giphy.gif
you throw at your TT playback ... tends to be less & less of a noticeable factor. The caveat being that perfectionist are going to notice whatever is not perfect. When you are a perfectionist ... that's what you do.

In my case once I broke the $100 barrier on carts (good many yeas ago) ... just wasn't a factor anymore on my audio rig from my perspective. YMMV.

0730 into the YouTube video ... the technical limitations of the Vinyl format from a perfectionist point of view are discussed briefly. The bulk of the video deals w/ Reel 2 Reel tape enthusiast seminar at RMAF16.

Last edited:
I've been listening to a record lately (Streisand's The Third Album, if you must know) . . .

OK, just stop right there and BACK AWAY FROM THE TURNTABLE! ;)

More seriously, as noted above, it's more difficult for the cartridge to track accurately towards the center, and if a record has been played a zillion times on a crappy stereo with a crappy needle, that's the first part of the record that will show audible damage.

Based on the Op's stated symptom of crackling noise I don't see this as an IGD issue related to alignment. If it was smearing of the vocals then yes IGD. What am I missing?

I've noticed increased sibilance on some of my records on the inner grooves. I've noticed this from day one and with a couple different carts. The carts are set up correctly and outer grooves play just fine on most records. I've always chalked it up to being a quirk of vinyl and yet another reason why it's not my preferred format.

This is a good point. The cartridge also isn't in the best shape, as the needle is not centered on it (due to some mechanical negligence on behalf of the previous owner). Sounds like I am better off getting a new cartridge. Any suggestions? It's a P-type cartridge and the current one on it is an Audio Technica PM9000.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to replace just the needle in such a cartridge? Or is there further alignment involved that may be best left to some skilled technician?

It should be possible to replace just the stylus, needledoctor.com has been my source for such things, though there are others....
The whole idea of the P-Mount set up is that there is no alignment (other than weight/antiskate) required, it's placement at the end of the tonearm is not adjustable... so if it's not lining up right it's time for a new cartridge (unless, of course the arm is damaged) FWIW, when I had a P-Mount table I put a Grado Green on it and was quite happy.

It should be possible to replace just the stylus, needledoctor.com has been my source for such things, though there are others....
The whole idea of the P-Mount set up is that there is no alignment (other than weight/antiskate) required, it's placement at the end of the tonearm is not adjustable... so if it's not lining up right it's time for a new cartridge (unless, of course the arm is damaged) FWIW, when I had a P-Mount table I put a Grado Green on it and was quite happy.

No alignment required, true, but if the rails need a touch of lube, the cartridge can sort of shimmy in its travel as friction causes sticking, and thus miss-tracking.

filmis: The PM9000 practically was the same thing as an AT122LP. It's body is compatible to all AT102P family (and also all of the "wider AT120 family") needles. If Stereoneedles still offers the ATN132EP for not quite 70 bucks, I'd suggest you to consider that one.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Once a record has been damaged from mis-tracking from "whatever cause", even being played on a so-called "perfect" turntable may still show up faults in playback.

A previous TT may have been set up improperly or may have been of poor quality was used to play the record and may have done some damage to it and now you are hearing the results of that damage.

Since the inner grooves are "more crowded" with analog "data" and are thus "harder to track" without "mis-tracking" you can see how some records may suffer damage in that area.

The "best" scenario is that an UN-damaged (or new) record be played on a properly set up turntable and cartridge setup that promotes proper tracking of the grooves (esp. the inner ones) for best playback fidelity and lifespan of the recording (IMHO).

Mark T. :music:

For an inexpensive alternative on that P-mount, I've had pretty impressive results with the AT 3482P. Goes for around $18-$22 online and sounds better than anything else I've tried (not that I've tried them all mind you, but the much-more heralded AT92 and AT122 didn't fare as well, even the ellipticals. The 3482 has a carbon fiber cantilever which I've heard said has a lot to do with how good it sounds considering the price.

For an inexpensive alternative on that P-mount, I've had pretty impressive results with the AT 3482P. Goes for around $18-$22 online and sounds better than anything else I've tried (not that I've tried them all mind you, but the much-more heralded AT92 and AT122 didn't fare as well, even the ellipticals. The 3482 has a carbon fiber cantilever which I've heard said has a lot to do with how good it sounds considering the price.
Thanks, I think I'll give this a shot!

Bad news, I got the AT 3482P and installed the cartridge. Now it sounds worse than the old cartridge did. Lots of sibilance and it's God awful. Is it tracking too light? Too heavy? How can I tell, and what can I do...

Back
Top Bottom