Vinyl (LPs): Do the outermost tracks sound better than the innermost ones?

filmis: Well, as elcoholic already hinted to, the linear trackers with motorised arm transport (to which your Technics also belongs) allow for a slightly varying, small tracking error angle, because that error is sensed, serving as an indicator for when the arm transport needs to be activated.

KB: Just btw, actually it's even more than that - i.e. outer playback radius is roundabout 145 mm, inner is roundabout 60 mm, so the maximum relation of the linear speeds is roundabout 2.4 to 1.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Good news. Although brushing and keeping the needle clean helped, I kept experiencing sibilance, so I took another look at the needle. Looks like the carbon fibre cantilever is somehow moulded, which apparently leaves a few long stray strands of the carbon fibre or something close to the tip of the cantilever. With a pair of precision wire cutters, I carefully clipped away the stray fibers. Now the sibilance is much improved.

I also mounted the new ATN3482P carbon fiber needle onto the PM9000 (which is a black AT122LP as someone pointed out), with some modification. The stylus casing doesn't exactly fit, and I had to actually cut away some of the plastic that extends from the base to the tip of the cantilever. But boy, does it sound sweet now!

Back
Top Bottom