1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Vinyl...No, not that vinyl, wood grained vinyl

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by citymech, Dec 8, 2018.

1. citymech

citymech New Member

I've recently picked up a fully functional Pioneer SX-780 for a song, but the wood case is peeling pretty badly. A quick excercise of Google came up with this stuff from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/D-C-Fix-26-in-x-78-in-Walnut-Red-Self-adhesive-Vinyl-Film-for-Furniture-and-Door-Renovation-Decoration-F3468072/303788551?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|DD|59-6_HOME+DECOR|NA|NA|71700000032287291|58700003837160922|92700036675473293|pla-514547808405-36373463401&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiA9K3gBRA4EiwACEhFe8KMzMio6kP0pt9Vsof1rmakDyIhIQVH_6ev3lqN1OniMiHtnJDd3xoCphwQAvD_BwE

Has anyone used it? My local store doesn't stock it, so I can't see it in person before I buy it.

Any input or suggestions would be helpful, as the face of this Pioner is flawless, and I'd like the the case to match.
    Thanks

Nightwisher likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Why do vinyl wood grained on your SX 780? Why not upgrade it, there's stick on wood veneer available which this classic should have had to begin with. It's a nice receiver but Pioneer did go cheap on the vinyl veneer. It's no more work to do a nicer job than factory, it enhances pride of ownership.

Nightwisher, WaynerN and Mark B like this.
  3. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

4. citymech

citymech New Member

You make a valid point, but I like things to be as original as possible. If I decide to keep this one, I'd prefer the vinyl, even though the actual wood is better. If I decide to sell it, the real wood could be a selling point.

So far, I'm leaning towards selling it. It's a great sounding piece, but it just doesn't sound quite as good as my Technics SA 5470. Not quite what I would call warmer, just not as accurate, maybe.

5. captouch

captouch AK Subscriber Subscriber

Once you replace the original vinyl, it’s no longer original - if that would matter to a collector.

So agree with Kent and Kris, do a real wood veneer whether you keep it or sell it, it will be better.

Nightwisher and darkblue94 like this.
  6. KentTeffeteller

The higher end Pioneer models used real veneer, and so far, the old vinyl veneer rarely ages well. So far, unless pristine original vinyl veneer. you won't degrade the value of your receiver by using nicer wood veneer, but add value to it at resale time. Nice wood helps resale prices (See what fancy woodwork does to Pioneer turntable prices, especially PL 530, and even purists accept it when well done)

Nightwisher and darkblue94 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. citymech

citymech New Member

Real wood it is then. Does anyone have a source for walnut self adhesive veneer?

captouch likes this.
  8. KentTeffeteller

Someone here, should direct you to a source for some. Best wishes. Enjoy the nice Pioneer classic.