Vinyl only spin list

1975: The Duets, the title says it all. This is the only other album by Brubeck on Horizon, SP-703.

It started as a plan to perform two concerts on a ship - The Rotterdam, as part of one of their Jazz Cruises. Per Paul Desmond, this is how it happened - "The group include Dave, myself, and a rhythm section composed mostly of Dave's sons. Our mission was to play two concerts in exchange for room and board, at least for me. Now it's about half an hour before concert time, and after we've set up the equipment and run through the more complicated numbers, we have about five minutes to get together on a ballad - not enough time to rehearse the changes with the rest of the troops, who haven't played it before. Inspiration. Look how we're 2000 miles out to sea, everyone's on holiday, who's to know, why not just do it as a duet? No problems with the changes, we worry about the ending when we get there, and we're home free."

"What happened when we got to it turned out to be kind of mind-blowing. with just the two of us playing, an almost eerie feeling of freedom occurred which seldom happens when there are other instruments to be considered. Dave and I have always had a bit of ESP happening musically between us, and this turned out to be the ideal situation in which it could flourish. All manner of possibilities opened up. I could play a totally illegal note at any point and Dave would instantly come up with a voicing making it sound like the most perfect note imaginable. Counter-lines, quiet, reflective musings, unabashed romantic wailing - everything worked. On the second concert we did another ballad the same way and the same thing happened."

Luckily BBC-TV was filming and taping all the concerts for a British TV series. Dave and Paul listened to it, liked it, and since both were between contracts, went into a studio and recorded the album in two days. The result is one of my favorite albums, Brubeck or otherwise. I've always felt Dave and Paul seemed to share one mind at times. This album proves it.

Duets.JPG

The Beau Brummels - Volume 2
(1965, Autumn)

17117322985_0ac801d3c9_o.jpg

17115781742_439b2857af_z.jpg

17117323285_864e7a4844_z.jpg

produced by Sly (Stone) Stewart. sounds great with pronounced low frequencies and jangly guitar - some tracks sound like a darker version of the '65 Byrds.

Back
Top Bottom