1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Vinyl only spin list

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by spartanmanor, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Donal64

Donal64 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Golden Bough "Winding Road".

Golden Bough - Winding Road.JPG

Musicfan#51 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. flyz51

flyz51 dipolar since 1990

You got the "on the path" part exactly right. Over the the past several months I've done some serious listening to the Miles Davis albums from Nefertiti to Bitches Brew, doing the entire stretch a couple of times with repeated listening to some albums. Bitches Brew was the first Miles Davis album I bought during the summer between freshman and sophomore years in college. What I've learned is that each album released was an exploration of material and methods. Miles In The Sky, which I've come to love with repeated listening, was an exploration of both sonorities (with the introduction of the electric piano) and more contemporary dance rhythms. In A Silent Way explored the spaces between the players and what they played. The tracks released on Water Babies help fill in the gaps in the record. Having traversed the available material a few times, the transition from from In A Silent Way's In A Silent Way/It's About That Time to Bitches Brew's Pharaoh's Dance is pretty much seamless to my ears.

3. Worried Man

Worried Man Super Member

The used Chic album I picked up yesterday was generally in great shape except for the lead track, Le Freak. The track had several skips. I first gave the record a good, deep cleaning; skips remained. So I went on to my next step: stopping at each skip and then manually spinning the record back through the skip. I can do this easily because the SL-1200 is manual. I repeated this several times for each skip -- spent about an hour replaying the track, stopping whenever it skipped, backing up through it, and so on, until finally... no more skips.

The track now plays perfectly. I didn't expect this technique to work so well. I'd heard of it before but had never tried it.

Ilikevinyl, Donal64, waynec and 3 others like this.
  4. 91r100gs

91r100gs AK Subscriber Subscriber

5. john111/LZ

john111/LZ Lunatic Member

6. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

7. waynec

waynec Super Member

I may have to give that a try with some records that skip. I also have a 1200. Does no harm to the needle to run it back over a skip like that, though? I know that DJs slip records backwards all the time, just wondering how this fixes a skip without doing something to the needle.

8. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

9. Musicfan#51

Musicfan#51 Lunatic Member

10. Worried Man

Worried Man Super Member

I am not sure, myself. I do it gently and I haven't noticed anything wrong with the stylus.

Ilikevinyl, waynec and Musicfan#51 like this.
  11. gtv2000

gtv2000 AK Subscriber Subscriber

upload_2018-7-12_14-22-23.jpeg

Was (Not Was) - Born To Laugh At Tornadoes

Another weekend pickup

dclovell and Musicfan#51 like this.

12. Musicfan#51

Musicfan#51 Lunatic Member

13. AnzacSonata

AnzacSonata Super Member

14. john111/LZ

15. Champco

Champco AK Subscriber Subscriber

Steve Millers second album "Sailor" is on youtube because I do not own the vinyl so I want to ask from some here on this record.

Who here is a SMiller fan and where do you put this record in the way of "Best" of SMiller's work? I put this here because I have found a pristine copy in vinyl which has a superb cover as well. Problem is the price. To me it's too high and not being extremely familiar it's tough to swallow. I look at Discogs and see asking prices and this is in the upper percentage, Also for those who have original copies from 1968, what is the inner sleeve?? Thanks for any help given.

Ilikevinyl and Musicfan#51 like this.
  16. john111/LZ

17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Addicted Member

Comp night!!!
    Best Of Rockers 'N' Ballads - Scorpions
    Promo stamped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Musicfan#51, Ilikevinyl and waynec like this.
  18. DeeCee

DeeCee Super Member

19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Addicted Member

Comp night continues...
    The Best Of ZZ Top
    [​IMG]

waynec, fuzzywobbles and Musicfan#51 like this.
  20. fuzzywobbles

fuzzywobbles Lunatic Member

66E768F1-02D7-4AA2-B92B-93F2C59216FC.jpeg

When I found this LP is was filthy and so badly warped I almost let it sit there. 7+ years in the stacks and several cleanings later the warp is gone and it sounds pristine.