Vinyl or Cd, pick ONE.

How many times do you think a master-tape gets played after it is finished...?

How many times does it take to start degrading to an audible degree?

I vote for vinyl. I grew up with it and the inconvenience factor is small compared to the quality of sound. I've yet to hear a CD player that could hang with my LP12 deck (barring the ones you need a mortgage for). As long as I can listen to CD's in the car I could deal with vinyl only in the house.

CD

At this point, I would pick CD, for various reasons.
1) While very good vinyl sounds VERY good, it is also VERY VERY expensive. Replacing good needles/cartidges frequently can be expensive.
2) CD technology has gotten alot better, both in the recordings, and the playback. They have also gotten cheaper. Medium priced($2K-$3K) players of today sound better than State of the Art players from 5 or so years ago. CDs themselves have gotten better-audtion some of the newer XRCDs and see for yourself.
3) direct comparisons between the two media are frequently futile, since more often than not, they are different mixes.
4) As previously stated, most new vinyl, is digitally recorded, and IMO they tend to sound it. I have some LPs, that sound more "digital" than most of my CDs.
5) While bad CDs can sound bad, I have some very early CDs that sound much better than I would have guessed on the newer CDPs.
6) really bad vinyl sounds really bad-as bad as bad digital, but in a different way.

Just my 2 cents,
Jack

PS. I still play vinyl, but its usually stuff that didn't make it to CD.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the gear,,,My CDP is extremely smooth in its CD delivery,,,,I dont have any fatigue or annoying digital nasties, but I must say...I buy only very well recorded CD's now...I am better at discriminating....

But for some reason I like listening to the vinyl,,I guess because its very cheap to splurge on used LP's, its a lot of fun!! and I like fiddling with the stuff....

But as I type this, I am listening to XRCD2 version of RCA's Living Stereo PIx At An Exhib,,and its bloody awesome sounding!!! Amazing feel and the details I pick up on my headphones is amazing..

Oh, BTW: I hate having to turn the record over every 20 min..:D

Back
Top Bottom