Vinyl room now has sub......

WaynerN

Addicted Member
I am now running 2 + 2 +1 (2) channel system in the vinyl room with the addition of the REL T5 subwoofer. It is a now a 5 speaker, 2 channel system and it does not incorporate any kind of sound processing. It is very 3D and with certain LPs, actually sounds like a 5.1 recording....don't ask me why, but I can now never go back.

Photos of set-up:

JBL S109 Aquarius IV, right side

IMG_1792.JPG

JBL Studio 530 Right front

IMG_1793.JPG

REL T5 Subwoofer

IMG_1794.JPG

JBL Studio 530 Left Main

IMG_1795.JPG

JBL S109 Aquarius IV Left Side

IMG_1796.JPG

View from the doorway

IMG_1797.JPG

System block diagram

IMG_1798.JPG

Because the REL does not go thru any processor, it's cross-over is set at about 40 hz, allowing all of the speakers to operate at full range. The REL supports all of the speakers with its own lowest octave. I have its output level set at a point where I can barely tell its there, but it really supports the system in ways I haven't fully realized.

Try it, you might like it.

The REL has high level inputs, which makes the system possible.

...it's cross-over is set at about 40 hz, allowing all of the speakers to operate at full range. The REL supports all of the speakers with its own lowest octave. I have its output level set at a point where I can barely tell its there, but it really supports the system in ways I haven't fully realized.
I agree that the key to seamless sub integration (especially when using one) is choosing a very low xover like yours to avoid localization. With its 12 db/octave slope, there is still audible output at double the frequency.

I use dual subs in the HT crossed at 50 hz as determined by lots of experimentation measuring the results for the most linear blend between them and the stats. While the sub's internal crossover slope is like yours, I use the HT's processor to set low pass at 24 db/octave.

There really is life in the first octave. :)

Last edited:
I agree that the key to seamless sub integration (especially when using one) is choosing a very low xover like yours to avoid localization. With its 12 db/octave slope, there is still audible output at double the frequency.

I use dual subs in the HT crossed at 50 hz as determined by lots of experimentation measuring the results for the most linear blend them and the stats. While the sub's internal crossover slope is like yours, I use the HT's processor to set low pass at 24 db/octave.

There really is life in the first octave. :)

It's like building a house. Bad foundation, bad house. Good foundation.......good house (hopefully).

Back
Top Bottom