Vinyl Rules! Can I get an "Amen!"

Fast_Eddie

Upper-middle fi
Ok, I'll admit it. I didn't know what the big deal was. I listened to records when I was a kid on a cheap-o fisher TT with whatever cheap p mount cart came on it. Thought they sounded fine. When I got my first generation Sony Diskman (wish I had hung on to that!) I thought it was light years ahead of what I had! Well, it was- but, as Paul Harvey would say, this is the rest of the story.

My folks never had a good stereo, and the stuff I cobbled together in my room was the best sounding gear we had. I just didn't know! Even when I joined AK, I thought you vinyl guys were nutts. Sure, vinyl is neat, and the ritual of cleaning the disk and dropping the needle is lots of fun, but sounds better than a CD? Are you high?

But, I have all these records I've lugged all over the country, and the SL 1200 I got for free from a TV station I worked at. Ok, well, I don't want to mess up my vinyl, so I'll get a cart, but I'm not spending a fortune.

So, on advice from Ovenmaster, I bought my Ortofon Super OM 10 for like $60 or something. It's taken me a while to figure it all out, but I'll be damed if the records don't sound better than the CDs! I'm so hooked I can hardly stand it! It's the saxaphones, man, I can't stand a sax on a CD now. There's absolutely no life in it. They must have all kinds of harmonics going on. But even rock n roll is better on vinyl. I'm listening to Mott The Hoople on vinyl right now. It sounds great!

So, who knows. I may end up buying one of those high dough carts someday, but for now, I'm diggin what I got, and it does sound better than my CDs! Geez, I guess I need to listen to better CD players now to be fair.

Just wanted to testify. Can I get an Amen?!

Take care,

Ed

Eddie glad your enjoying the vinyl sound. Its also a cheap source for good music today. It also amazing how robust this old technolgy is. I put Chuck Mangione (Song BooK) just before sitting down to log on tonight. If you don't use headphones let me suggest picking up a good pair you'll be glad you did. I'm really looking forward to a decent tube setup to complement vinyl some day. I think this would be the holly grail. I remember going to the drug store with my dad so he could test tubes that needed replaced in our TV's. I've heard so much about tubes it just seems natural for some reason. I really like CD's but there is a difference. I have the Heavy Horses Album and have the Heavy Horses song on a Greatest Hits cd. I much prefer the ALbum to the cd.
I have several cartridges now and have been listening to them and while each sounds different none of them are bad. My favorate is the V15 that came on my Daul.

We Hear You, Eddie!

The first time I played BLUE OYSTER CULT on my turntable I heard weeping and wailing. I thought, wow, what resolution: you can hear people moaning through the roaring crowd noise. Then I looked out the window and saw that the post man and two roofers who were working across the street were kneeling in my driveway! CDs never got that response.

Peter

Fast_Eddie said:
Ok, I'll admit it. I didn't know what the big deal was. I listened to records when I was a kid on a cheap-o fisher TT with whatever cheap p mount cart came on it. Thought they sounded fine. When I got my first generation Sony Diskman (wish I had hung on to that!) I thought it was light years ahead of what I had! Well, it was- but, as Paul Harvey would say, this is the rest of the story.

My folks never had a good stereo, and the stuff I cobbled together in my room was the best sounding gear we had. I just didn't know! Even when I joined AK, I thought you vinyl guys were nutts. Sure, vinyl is neat, and the ritual of cleaning the disk and dropping the needle is lots of fun, but sounds better than a CD? Are you high?

But, I have all these records I've lugged all over the country, and the SL 1200 I got for free from a TV station I worked at. Ok, well, I don't want to mess up my vinyl, so I'll get a cart, but I'm not spending a fortune.

So, on advice from Ovenmaster, I bought my Ortofon Super OM 10 for like $60 or something. It's taken me a while to figure it all out, but I'll be damed if the records don't sound better than the CDs! I'm so hooked I can hardly stand it! It's the saxaphones, man, I can't stand a sax on a CD now. There's absolutely no life in it. They must have all kinds of harmonics going on. But even rock n roll is better on vinyl. I'm listening to Mott The Hoople on vinyl right now. It sounds great!

So, who knows. I may end up buying one of those high dough carts someday, but for now, I'm diggin what I got, and it does sound better than my CDs! Geez, I guess I need to listen to better CD players now to be fair.

Just wanted to testify. Can I get an Amen?!

Take care,

Ed

Ed, I'm delighted and humbled that I could help in any way to increase your enjoyment of your music. I'm very happy to hear it. :D
Just wait til you are able to hit some stores with used LP's. Bring a full wallet.
Regards from Tom

Last edited:
The thing that kills me are the little things that they change & edit for the CD release vs. the original vynl....take for example, I have Commander Cody's "We've got a live one here" (the last original album, double live) on CD and now on vynl. There are little snippits of crowd noise and stuff that where removed from the CD...very minute stuff, like at the end of Milkcow Blues on the vynl, Bill Kirchen goes "Ahh milkcow" and he doesn't say that on the CD...the other thing is at the end of that album on the CD an announcer goes "could we get one last great big round of applause......" and says a few other words....NONE of that is on the vynl....so they took out a few seconds here & there to add THAT...it's interesting.

OvenMaster said:
Ed, I'm delighted and humbled that I could help in any way to increase your enjoyment of your music. I'm very happy to hear it. :D
Just wait til you are able to hit some stores with used LP's. Bring a full wallet.
Regards from Tom

That's the great part! There are two really close to me! I'm listening to a great Sonny Rollins record right now that I got for $4!

Take care,

Ed

Lucky dog.. closest used music store for me is like 20, 25 miles away! :gigglemad
Happy listening, Ed! :yes:
Tom

On my system, at least, the only thing that comes close to the sound of vinyl through my TD124 / Rega RB300 / Blue Point Special is a handful of SACD´s I got recently.

I repeat, they come close.

Jorge

Agree Jorge, the only thing that gets close to vinyl for me are some SACD's - not all, but certainly a few.

I'm sorry I threw out all my vinyl back in 89. Technologies seem to be more for speed and convenience. Microwave ovens? Yuck!

Hold your ground, hold your ground. Sons of AK, of vinyl, my brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the sound quality of vinyl fails, when we forsake our turntables and break all bonds with records, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered lp's, when the age of vinyl comes crashing down, but it is not this day. This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the turntable!*

{with apologies to Aragorn and JRR Tolkien}
:D

:ntwrthy: Hallelujah! and Aaaaamennnnnn

OvenMaster said:
Lucky dog.. closest used music store for me is like 20, 25 miles away! :gigglemad
Happy listening, Ed! :yes:
Tom

:D I have one in walking distance, mebbe 5 minutes? :yes: :banana:

Bigerik said:
Hold your ground, hold your ground. Sons of AK, of vinyl, my brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the sound quality of vinyl fails, when we forsake our turntables and break all bonds with records, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered lp's, when the age of vinyl comes crashing down, but it is not this day. This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the turntable!*

{with apologies to Aragorn and JRR Tolkien}
:D

:lmao: Literally! I laughed so hard that I was crying while repeating this to my Wife and daughter! this is great! LOTR fans will love this!

Hmm can this fit into a sig? 400 characters I believe? (With your kind pemission of course!) Dang, 488 with spaces...

Last edited:
outlawmws said:
:lmao: Literally! I'm laughed so hard that I was crying while repeating this to my Wife and daughter! this is great! LOTR fans will love this!

Hmm can this fir into a sig? 400 characters I believe? (With your kind pemission of course!) Dang, 488 with spaces...

No Prob! As long as you give credit to all 3 of us! :D

Amen, now go forth among the pitiful horde's of mankind to preach the book of vinyl so that they also may find salvation from the scourge cd.

Vinyl, the way music was meant to be heard

Back
Top Bottom