Vinyl setup for starters

Tiver

Enjoy the music
So I am putting together something for my son's coworker to give to her husband as a gift.

I am not a business, but I will stand behind the equipment should something fail.

I'd like to hear what you all think is fair for this set.....

MCS 6601 TT in excellent shape, dust cover has very minimal light scratches, original headshell and new AT3600

Sony TA F555ES Very nice face. Fully functioning, but not serviced. One pea sized spot on the top of the case the was scratched and has surface rust......will be touched up

Original Large Advent Utility Cabinet. Vinyl is is great shape. Woofs were re-foamed about six years ago. Original cloth and badges...cloth is a bit dingy, one is fine, one has a small snag that I will try to stitch or glue to help reduce its visual impact. I ordered some caps for the xo, but don't know if I will get them in before they are going out the door.

I have owned and played these pieces and I know they will perform daily duty. Seems like $125 for each piece would not be out of line? All three together I told her $330. How's my math look for this?

Not a "score", but not a "rip-off" either. If you are indeed willing to stand behind the equipment, I would encourage you to pop the hood on that Sony and at least give it a good DeOxit treatment. Same thing for the tweeter controls on the OLAs--even if you don't get to the full re-cap, I'd address those tweeter controls, as they are prone to "issues".

Your the one who bought and accumulated the equipment so you would know better what you want and need for it.

Your the one who bought and accumulated the equipment so you would know better what you want and need for it.

I get that. I don't need anything for it. What I want is what I posted.

It's just a discussion I wanted some responses regarding valuation from others who play around with this stuff.

It's a little challenging because I could be upgrading this system for her with other equipment I have, but it's about getting someone into a system that's adequate to start on some kind of budget.

BTW, her budget was up to $400. I could have sold her the same set up for more and still been in the range of "fair" IMO.

I get that. I don't need anything for it. What I want is what I posted.

It's just a discussion I wanted some responses regarding valuation from others who play around with this stuff.

Well I play around with this stuff and if you asked me for that price I would need to reduce it to become a buyer. $50 Turntable, $35 Receiver, $100 Speakers.

Well I play around with this stuff and if you asked me for that price I would need to reduce it to become a buyer. $50 Turntable, $35 Receiver, $100 Speakers.

But why would you buy it? I kind of doubt you would buy it to listen to. So you would buy it for some kind of upside? Boat anchors? Give away?

Maybe my question should have specified, "If you had it, would you feel ok asking this much to sell it ?"

But why would you buy it? I kind of doubt you would buy it to listen to.
Why not? I wouln't buy it if I wasn't going to listen to it.
So you would buy it for some kind of upside? Boat anchors? Give away?
What upside is boat anchors?

Maybe my question should have specified, "If you had it, would you feel ok asking this much to sell it ?"
No, I would sell it for the fair value of it or give it away. My record store is full of this type of equipment with the prices I put forwards. They also have a lot of rent to pay and overhead. For under $200 you can walk out with a system like this. Now that's a record store, down the street at GW you can get stuff cheaper, but not often find a TT.

I think the $125 is okay for the amp and speakers, but would but the table closer to $50-75. If I were moving that system along I would probably ask $200 for the whole thing. Depending on how good of a friend the price would move accordingly. I always feel that systems should sell cheaper than individual components as they kind of shoehorn people into specific gear instead of letting them get the exact gear they want (exception: systems from one manufacturer which were designed to go together, in that case an entire system can be worth more).

I am with 4-2-7 on his valuation. I would not buy for $330.

OLA in my area go for $75 for cosmetically challenged speakers (current ad). I recently bought Bullnose NLA for $100. Your OLA do not sound like they are desirable and pristine: vinyl with distressed grills. $100 would be fair for refoamed and recapped, though. I am not familiar with the Sony, but receivers in my area go all day, every day from $30 to $75 unless only a few years old. It appears to be a nice integrated amp, so maybe on the high side is reasonable. I have no idea on the TT 'cuz I don't do vinyl.

The speakers and integrated amp in my area would be worth $125 to 150. Add on some for the TT and, maybe, $200 for the package.

There is a recent SOLD listing for that Sony for $150 in NON-working condition. I would buy those all day for $30 also! If the OP is going to stand behind the equipment, and help them get it all set up, I say that $330 is a fair price. He is also including a new cart and a recap for the speakers.

Thanks for all the replies people. This is the kind of feed back I was looking for.

As far as valuation... I think the TT is $100 all day. New cart, set up and very clean condition. The Advents.... I am pretty sure I would buy a pair of utility cabinets in need of foam and caps for as much as $65...so what is the re-foam worth? I think re-foamed they're at a C-note. The caps are only a couple bucks and a five minute solder job. The Sony was $600 100wpc integrated when it was new....this one is very clean aside from the one scratch. It has MM and MC with some loading adjustment....it's not a 35wpc receiver. I would pay $125 if I needed something like this.

So to recap.....what's a pair of OLA refoamed these days? $100? recapped? $125?
Most of you probably aren't familiar with the Sony or the TT.....the TT is basically a direct drive Technics under the house brand MCS....equivalent to the Technics SL-2000.

I think I will cut her a little slack and do it for $300 and she gets all the support she needs in the future.

Thanks again for all this input

Don't know about anything else. But I recently sold that TT for $120, with a new AT3600. Mine was in excellent condition, even had clear plastic specs sheet still stuck to the dust cover. My headshell wasn't original either, and neither were my feet.

Here is a little visual support. I had first offered with refoamed Smaller Advent, but I wanted to offer the OLA as they definitely produce more decibels. She like that the OLA went louder.

stereo.jpg

$300 would be a hard sell in my area secondary market (craigslist, FB marketplace, etc) but selling packages is difficult. More like $200-250. Mainly because that Sony, even though it's a sweet receiver, just doesn't command much resale dollar to most people. The current listings on the bay help to explain it's worth though.

That's not the MCS I thought it was. That looks like the Technics made one. If it's DD I can go up a bit on my valuation. If it's belt I'm holding firm.

That's not the MCS I thought it was. That looks like the Technics made one. If it's DD I can go up a bit on my valuation. If it's belt I'm holding firm.

The 6601 is DD and a bit of a step up in gimbal/tonearm design from the also direct drive 6600. It's so hard to know who built those MCS turntables. They can be so similar in model number but made by a different manufacturer. I believe Tiver is correct, the 6601 is Technics built.

The 6601 is DD and a bit of a step up in gimbal/tonearm design from the also direct drive 6600. It's so hard to know who built those MCS turntables. They can be so similar in model number but made by a different manufacturer. I believe Tiver is correct, the 6601 is Technics built.
It could be a better table than the Technics it was modeled after and still be worth less. That would make it a sleeper, which tends to favor the buyer, not the seller. My JVC QL-A7 is a sleeper table for people who love Denon. Just because I believe it to be as good as a Denon does not mean it has the same resale value. The market is funny that way sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom