Virus on PC

Balthazarr

What is this Trojandownloader.Agent.AQN?

Yesterday, did a scan and found 10 infected files (Volume info files) which I deleted.
Today, another scan and found 11 files.
Where is this thing to be found and what is its function?

There seem to be about a bazillion variants of Trojandownloader- if you aren't using ad-aware, go d/l it and run it. Spybot too.

I run Ad-Aware daily and do a full system scan. It's not unusual for it to find 3 to 4 of the little bastards daily. My next computer will not be on a Windows platform. Also, it's safer to use web-based e-mail.

If it is a self installer, sometimes you have to boot into safe mode, then run adaware and/or your virus scanner to remove it.

AdAware rocks, you would be surprised at the crap that's lurking everywhere out there. If it's a trojan, it may have not made it to your registry. Get it free here:
www. lavasoft.com

If you are using Windows XP the trojan may be reinstalling itself from the system restore files. This happened to me. I turned off system restore temporarily to get of it. Run Ad-Aware first as advised above as well as running an anti-virus program to try to remove it.

To turn off System Restore:
-click START
-right click the "My Computer" icon
-select "PROPERTIES"
-You should see a dialog box called System Properties
-select the System Restore tab
-left click in the box next to "Turn off System Restore for all drives" to place a check mark in the box.
-click APPLY at bottom of dialog box

Remember that by doing this you will delete all previous restore points. So if you're not comfortable with that, don't do it.

Paul

Attachments

• system properties box.jpg
    system properties box.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 6
Ad-Aware SE by lavasoft is the missile! I also use AdsCleaner. Go to their website to get a months free trial. McAfee also does a good job of swattin' trojans. I found that going to my internet options and setting third party cookies to prompt mode also helps cut back alot of the crap that was sneakin onto my machine.

Thanks for all the help people.
Was going to run Ad Aware but my definitions were out of date so
I used Spy bot this morning and did an AGV scan while gone this afternoon.
No virus detected after letting it go for 3 hours.

Most of those files were in the System Restore as Tripqzon said.
I checked the virus vault and found some other files of the same genus I didn't even see from an earlier scan this month.
Insidious little fackers.
I have my PC set to scan starting at 8AM, but it's slow once I start using it when I get up so I reset to start at 6AM a minute ago.

Nothing in the registry. Good news there.
Might try turning System Restore off as suggested next time I scan.

Some stuff you need to do to protect your computer from viruses, spyware and so on.

1. Get a good Anti Virus program. The best one is the NOD32, from ESET. Norton is very popular, but very bad to. It cant find half the viruses NOD32 can, and cant fix a 1/10 of them.

2. Start using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Mozilla Firefox is free, and has a very good build in spyware protection system.

3. Get a firewall. There is one in Windows XP from start, but its often better to try and find another one. Elseway, use the XP firewall. (If you have an older operations system you HAVE to get a firewall. No one build in in Win98 or the other once)

4. Download some Anti-Spyware programs:
--- Ad-Aware. By Lavasoft. Finds, and fixes alot spyware files. Spyware is like viruses, but not as bad. There is a free version here:
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE...045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

--- SpyBot Search & Destroy. Kinda like Ad-Aware, but finds other sorts of files (some times the same to.. but anyhow) Download for free here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

--- Spyware Blaster. Kinda like an Anti-Spyware firewall. Very effective. Stops most of the spyware files from geting in to you computer. Free download here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

I think thats all. If you use these stuff, you computer will work MUCH better. Its really worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions adolph.
I have Zonealarm, AdAware SE, SpyBot and AGV. I just have to make sure I update in a timely manner from now on.

Back
Top Bottom