Voice of Music VM 580-2 Console / 1242 Turntable Rehab

Sono; Put the FUSE between the cord and the switch. You'll need to hand over hand both of the leads from the switch (one from cord, one from trans). The CL-80 can either go between the fuse and the switch or on the other side that feeds the Aux plugs. But it has to tap off the power cord.

On the CAN LYTICS. If you have wiring going to the ground lugs on the perimeter of the can's, leave them be. You're only interested in the lugs in the center of the CAN. Move these to a lug on the terminal strip. Connect your (+) Positive side of a lytic to that connection, and the (-) negative to the ground at the can. Which means the terminal strips will be right up and on the can caps. I would spaghetti sleeve as much as possible all the bare leads to and from the caps, as they may cross over each other.

In this case the switch is in the turntable. I'd put the fuse between the power cord lead and the wire out to the turntable.

Thanks guys. I will give it another look. I understand what you are writing, but not 100% sure I understand what you are telling me. My rookie status is definitely showing.

Larry - speaking of rookie mistakes, I already unsoldered all the leads from the tabs. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Still haven't figured out why they had a wire connecting tabs on all 3 EL's, but probably not worth worrying about. Don't worry, I've been spaghetti sleeving just about everything.

Gadget - There is an off switch on the main panel. Is this not the power switch?

It has two then? Sometimes phono-only consoles used the turntable as the switch. Ones with tuners had one on the front panel but the turntable was the switch in phono mode so it shuts down. If one power cord lead goes straight to the transformer, the other one has to have the switch in it. It may be that it loops through the turntable, or maybe it splits at the turntable power connection and also runs up to the main panel switch. Without seeing a schematic or knowing this specific model I'm sort of guessing at it, but either way the other power cord line goes through a switch to the transformer.

Thanks again guys. I am just attaching the schematic for reference. Probably should have done that early on. I'll give it a look again this evening.

Attachments

• VM580-2_Schematic.pdf
    234.2 KB · Views: 16
ok, thats relatively typical then. It runs through the function switch and through the record changer switch. basically its either on when in tuner, or the changer determines if its on in phono mode. Automatic off, it shuts the amp off when the stack of records is done.

Slow but steady progress.... 2 EL's down, 1 to go then the fuse and thermistor. Then we reinstall and cross our fingers and power it up. Thanks for the feedback. For the fuse, the comment about one wire running straight to the transformer and the other is the switch clicked for me and makes perfect sense. Seems obvious now, but that's how you learn I guess.

Any basic checks you usually run before hooking everything back up or just go for it? I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

I variac stuff with an ammeter to see if it does anything horribly unpleasant. Dim bulb tester if you don't have one of those. Better to have the light come on than one of the caps go bang and smoke come out.

Weekend Update: Some good, some bad news.

Good news - after a lot of good advice from knowledgeable folks, work was completed on the amp. I'll post pics tomorrow. Don't have an ammeter and don't know what a dim bulb tester is, so it was a plug it in and cross your fingers affair this afternoon. Happy to say no smoke or explosions after 30 mins or so playing my phone through the input jacks. Everything seemed to respond ok turning knobs on the control panel. Not all the tubes glowed the same - one hardly at all. Would this be normal?

Bad news - Tried the turntable next. It works, but acts strangely. Almost assuredly something I did. I know this might be the wrong forum, but if anyone has ideas or can could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated... For example, if I play an LP manually it seems to be ok, although I didn't let it finish to see what would happen. If I hit reject, it will reject the tone arm but then immediately move it back to play a 7" record (I assume). Arm drops and turntable shuts off? I am not sure where to start looking.

Have a good evening all. As I said, there will be pics tomorrow, but keep expectations low.

sounds like something is still sticky in the mechanism. Unfortunately I don't know VM stuff enough to tell you where. I've done two and both came out fine, but mostly it was a case of referring to my pictures and making sure it went back how it started.

Pics as promised. Not the most sophisticated work I am sure, but got the job done. Played it for another 45 minutes today and seemed to work fine. Need to keep working on the turntable - no time today. If I can't figure it out, I'll try another thread pleading for help.

Attachments

• VM1.jpg
    VM1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 20
  • VM2.jpg
    VM2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 19
  • VM3.jpg
    VM3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 20
  • VM4.jpg
    VM4.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 21
Happy to report that turntable is working now well. Took the whole thing apart.... again.... and walked my way through the problems. Replaced the needle and played LP's for an hour or so. All seems good and sounds great. Fun learning experience. So I wrap up this thread with a big thanks to all who helped. Next time you are on I-95 a little north of Baltimore, crab cakes are on me.

Attachments

• Final2.jpg
    Final2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Final1.jpg
    Final1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 13
Does the lazy light control work

The VM logo in front is a button that will trigger the changer

Yep, the logo button is lit and working. Overall it turned out well as far as I can tell. Thanks for getting me started on all this. Was a big help.

How far up I-95? Shrimp is ok,:D as I can't eat crabs. But you guys go ahead.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Bring crabcakes to Rick's gig in the fall and we can call it square :) Or some Natty Boh since me and seafood have a questionable relationship at times.

I had two of these consoles
One of them (early one) had a equalizer setting on the amp
You could select RIAA or other settings like FLAT

Does yours have the EQ select?
It would be the control closed to the front

looking at the pictures it looks like it does not have the EQ setting

For some reason I missed the notification on these last posts.

I am up not far off I-95 about a half hour north of Baltimore - Bel Air for those familiar with the area. Either shrimp of crab is good by me. If you don't like crab, that's more for the rest of us.

Not sure what Rick's gig is this fall. I am not sure this will turn into a hobby for me, but it was a fun project. I may show up, you never know with me. Where are the details on the gig?

Omegaman - I do not have the options you are talking about. I think Gary at VM enthusiasts said that was the reason mine was a 580-2 model.

Happy 4th of July weekend to all.

Don't think its posted yet, but Ohighway usually does a fall get together. Basically arrive, BS, eat, etc. Ehoove did one in the spring, it was a good time. They're both kind of southwest of you but well within driving distance.

Keep in touch with either Gadget or me. Usually Ricks meet is in the fall around the 1st or 2nd weekend in Oct. He's out just over the howard county line in West Friendship area. You won't believe the basement. The parts and gear is to die for in most cases. Fran's crapstack is even better! but nobody see's it!

Back
Top Bottom