1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Volt+ D vs NuForce STA200

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by gkarelitsky, Oct 31, 2018.

1. gkarelitsky

gkarelitsky AK Subscriber Subscriber

Looking for a small form factor amp to drive older B&W speakers of 90 db SPL. Preamp is a NuForce HAP-100. Not looking to rock out the house but would like good dynamics for jazz and classical, primarily.

I have read good things about both amps here on AK. The Volt + D seems like a good value but would it be outclassed by the NuForce? Any benefit staying with the NuForce brand?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

3. 45rpmspinner

45rpmspinner AK Subscriber Subscriber

As far as I know, there are no tests of the Volt+D to back up that assumption.
    Even Allo offers nothing of the sort.

4. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

But there are plenty of resources that have measured the various Chinese implementations of the tpa3116. The general conclusions are, the tpa3116 only measures poorly when gain is set too high from the factory.

5. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Try the NuForce. Send it back if you don't like it. Chances are good you will keep it, I believe. That HAP-100 is a pretty good little preamp. I had one. Only sold it because no one used it in the guest bedroom - I just had one too many systems.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    WobblySam and invaderzim like this.
  6. gkarelitsky

Appreciate the feedback. No concerns about driving the somewhat inefficient B&Ws?

7. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

ClassD amps actually drive low impedance speakers better, long as power supply and cooling is adequate. Remember they were originally designed for automobile use to drive 2ohm speakers.

8. gkarelitsky

I decided to go with the Volt + D and it arrived yesterday. Initial reactions are quite good. Ample power to drive the B&Ws at the lower gain setting with nice dynamics. Can’t say that I understand why but it seems to provide a noticeable soundstage. Looking forward to seeing if it improves after a break-in period. Very happy with the performance at price.

9. HiFiJeff

HiFiJeff Well-Known Member

How did it take me 15 days to see this thread?!?!?! I am SOOOOOOOOO close to pulling the trigger on the STA-200. I have a thread over in solid state on the STA-200. I also love my Volt+. But am considering the +D.

10. gkarelitsky

if you go ahead with it be sure to come back here with your impression and comparison.

11. HiFiJeff

HiFiJeff Well-Known Member

Looking forward hearing more impressions. I have the normal Volt+ and am thinking about going to the +D.
    Without a doubt. I am leaning more towards the VOLT+D though. A lot less expensive.