Volume pot issues SA-9500 II and SA-8500-II

CraigJ

Hello to All:

My 9500-II started giving lots of scratching and popping out of the volume pot. The left channel would just drop out. After searching here I cleaned and sprayed with Deoxit, even drilling a small hole in the case. After cleaning it was shot-no volume at all. As luck would have it I picked up a SA-8500-II locally for a very good price. After a couple of weeks use it is exhibiting the same symptoms, somewhat randomly. It gets better after it has warmed up. I blew the 8500 out but did not use Deoxit. Do I need to Deoxit the volume pot? Also I have ordered (I think) a new volume pot for the 9500. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

There are a few thing you need to consider at this point. First, drilling a hole in an Alps pot would be the first issue. You now have no way to know where the shreds of either plastic or metal, depending where you drilled, have ended up inside the housing. The shreds may have blocked the surface of the wiper which would be a real serious issue. Second, the hole drilled will now allow dust, pollen etc access to the inside. There is also nowhere for the excess solution to drain.

I am assuming you used Deoxit D-5 5% spray. This product will not only clean the contacts, but it will also remove any lubrication inside the case. Lubrication is an absolute necessity. You need to apply some Caig Fader (formerly Faderlube) to replace the now missing lubrication. I am going to make a suggestion to you; so you don't make the same problems with the 8500.

The case of Alps pots sections are held in place with four screws at the back. I recommend to you the you try unscrewing the four screws just slightly, enough that there is a small gap between the plates. Be careful to not unscrew enough that the screws can come out. You want the case to remain integral, but with enough space to get the cleaning and lubrication inside without having the entire mechanism fall into pieces. The pot on the 9500 will now have to be unscrewed as I described and blown out with canned air, with the hope that whatever fell inside will come out or be moved inside so it is not impeding anything. You should then repeat the cleaning process through each of the gaps created by loosening the screws. This should then be followed up with the use of Fader. It is also recommended that you follow this process with the use of Caig Gold, for clean environments; or Shield, if your environment is dusty or salty, like here in Florida.

The real way to deal with these devices is to unsolder the wiring, remove the device and completely disassemble it for complete cleaning. A lot of people don't have the balls to do this, myself included. The method I described has worked for me on a couple of occasions and will work for you, if you are careful. Good luck to you. I am attaching the instructions from Caig, which will reinforce what I have said.

Attachments

• Deoxit Instructions.jpg
    Deoxit Instructions.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 14
Thank you Sir. I did not know about the Fader lube. I will order some today and will drill no more holes...:)

Craig

Follow up on the 8500 and 9500. I found a local repairman who replaced 4 caps and a diode on the 8500 for $100. He inspected the 9500 and found many modifications that were done years ago-not by me. So, the 9500 is in the closet. I recently acquired a SA-9500 (not another 9500 II) and am using it for now. Thanks for all the info. The 9500 is exhibiting a small problem now...see new post...:)

Thanks

Craig

Back
Top Bottom