Volvo women's Team SCA

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by HiFi in WYO, Jan 21, 2014.

1. HiFi in WYO

HiFi in WYO The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest. Subscriber

This clip is of the Team SCA women's sailing team that will compete in the 2014-15 Volvo Ocean Race. My sister-in-law is Sara - she's the last one interviewed at the end of the clip. She hasn't officially made the team yet, but things are looking good. Heck, a sailor from Wyoming. Who wouldda' thunk?

These women have cajones!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKVv-lL5PA

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. HiFi in WYO

Yeah! Late last week, sister-in-law Sara made the team. 38,000 nautical miles, from October to June, 2015. These chicks rock!

(and now I get to go to Sweden to see the final leg next year)

http://www.teamsca.com/

3. Doc Zinger

Doc Zinger Well-Known Member

Thought this thread needed an up date. Ran across the Volvo Ocean Race series on Y Tube, so really amazing stuff and people. New race starting at the end of year (Dec '17) into 2018. Would never do this myself but glad to see some do and watch their stories, find my excitement elsewhere.

HiF/Wyo cool to see your SIL Sara, easy to see why they have featured her in the 2014-15 race and have her on the new race site for the next race. I'm also from Wyoming, good to see the few get some recognition once in awhile.

HiFi in WYO likes this.
  4. HiFi in WYO

Doc - Yeah, she's done alright with this gig :) Started out on crews that shuttled rich people boats around the world for their owners and then broke into sailing. At some point, she hooked up with Brian Thompson, an English sailor (and a multiple record holder at that) and that friendship helped opened up new worlds for her - mostly because he knows everyone important!

I can't hang around them much (I also don't get to) because they've done way more in life than me - at least by those standards. However, it was nice to ski with them both in March at Steamboat - at least I am a better skier!

Here's their boat. We met them all in Newport, R.I. in May, 2015.

SCA boat.jpg