Voxson H202B Amplifier Anyone know anything about them?

Ric Harris

I won a smart looking Voxon amp moments ago.I don't bid on the unknown but I know special when I see it and the made in Finland marking certainly lends a bit of perceived quality. Just or not.
The MIDI style inputs say 70's much like my Tandberg but again were clueless. Voxson isn't exactly a household name. I certainly never heard of them until I saw this being auctioned. voxon.JPG voxon2.JPG
It looks clean, I just hope it works!

Greetings; I dug this up on gloogle @ worthpoint.

"YOU ARE BIDDING ON A VOXSON STEREO 240 HIGH FIDELITY AMPLIFIER H202B. IT IS GREAT CONDITION. WORKS. WOOD GRAIN FINISH. 2X35 WATT RMS/ 8 OHMS. VERY RARE PIECE MADE IN EUROPE. IT SAYS ON BACK MADE IN ITALY. YOU CANNOT FIND THIS PIECE ANYWHERE. VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND. GOOD BIDDING/SOLD AS IS."

Greetings; I dug this up on gloogle @ worthpoint.

"YOU ARE BIDDING ON A VOXSON STEREO 240 HIGH FIDELITY AMPLIFIER H202B. IT IS GREAT CONDITION. WORKS. WOOD GRAIN FINISH. 2X35 WATT RMS/ 8 OHMS. VERY RARE PIECE MADE IN EUROPE. IT SAYS ON BACK MADE IN ITALY. YOU CANNOT FIND THIS PIECE ANYWHERE. VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND. GOOD BIDDING/SOLD AS IS."

Yeah I found similar info. 35 watts RMS but I missed the Italy part because there's a tag on it that made me think it was Finland. Voxson3.JPGBesides that Voxson sounds like it should be Scandinavian but it's actually a Australian based co.
I found a few other mentions of this model and that it was made in the late 60's to early 70's I guess by some folks the amp design is a good one and has really low distortion numbers but the writer didn't mention any figures.

I also saw an 8 track and car radio combo by voxon, too. Australia? go figure. :D
Funny you say that a buddy of mine just said they made awesome car audio back in the 70's. He was stationed in Germany back in the 80's and had a Saab with a 2 cycle engine that had a Voxson AM FM quad 8 track with Voxson speakers in it. He sold the car for about 50.00 US and sold the Voxson system for 150.00. The 2 cycle Saab was great in the winter for people living north of the arctic circle. Not so good when the temp rose above 50 degrees then it would overheat and die after about 10 miles.:mad: The funny story's people recall over audio equipment.:rflmao:

I assume by "midi" you mean the DIN jacks... std. stuff on European gear from that era. Speaker & signal jacks both, it was a common standard used by many mfrs but mainly European brands, US & Japan less so esp. the speaker jacks. DIN signal jacks on recorders was pretty common though.

John

I assume by "midi" you mean the DIN jacks... std. stuff on European gear from that era. Speaker & signal jacks both, it was a common standard used by many mfrs but mainly European brands, US & Japan less so esp. the speaker jacks. DIN signal jacks on recorders was pretty common though.

John
I knew they called the speaker outputs for Tandberg's & B&O are called 2 DIN but I've never heard the inputs being called "DIN" inputs. When I ordered input adapter cables for my TR-2025 I ordered MIDI to RCA's from Amazon. They sell MIDI's with either 2 or 4 RCA's. The term MIDI is more associated with Musical equipment, keyboards, processors and the like. My kids a guitar player and that's where I likely got the term from. BTW I like European gear. However I have a Beomaster receiver and it never blew the wind up my skirt. B&O is a taste I never acquired.

Lights up but the only thing coming through the speakers is rhythmic noise likely of the 60 hz A/C variety. The fuses are granule filled. Never seen any like that before. I will score new fuses tomorrow however I have my doubts that's the issue. I will crack it open tomorrow but I have a hunch it's not going to be something a little contact cleaner will cure. :( The rig is a beauty regardless.

"MIDI" - Musical Instrument Digital Interface - a world full of terrible synthesised bass sounds, barking dogs, terrible cymbal crashes and faux-Spanish noises. All in the best low-rez format.

Yes I think the old DIN plugs and MIDI plugs are the same, both are 5-pin in the same arrangement it looks like.

Open her up so we can have a look!

"MIDI" - Musical Instrument Digital Interface - a world full of terrible synthesised bass sounds, barking dogs, terrible cymbal crashes and faux-Spanish noises. All in the best low-rez format.

Yes I think the old DIN plugs and MIDI plugs are the same, both are 5-pin in the same arrangement it looks like.

Open her up so we can have a look!
I never knew what MIDI actually stood for but leave it to some marketing genius to give a snappy acronym to and old platform.
As for the amp.
I'll have pictures shortly. It didn't work and hour ago but new fuses and 1/4 of a can of contact cleaner later it's coming around. It's been dormant for a very long time.

20170622_172130.jpg 20170622_172138.jpg 20170622_171928.jpg 20170622_172000.jpg 20170622_172021.jpg 20170622_172040.jpg 20170622_172338.jpg
The output is as good as it should be but the longer it runs the better it's getting. There's a little bleed over in the input selector. I can hear the tape deck on aux, phono and tuner when it have the tape deck running and turn the selector dial. The loudness and filters along with bass and treble don't have much effect on the audio at this point but a couple hours ago I had nothing so I can't complain too much.
Their are two white indicator lights of some kind above the balance and treble knobs. Not sure as to their function but they aren't working likely burnt out. I just wonder how much of the lack of volume has to do with oxidation and or tired caps. Clean rig regardless. I love bringing the presumed dead back to life. It's Alive!! LOL!
Oh and I had to post a picture of my clunky old Tandberg deck. If it were a car it would have 500K on it. Darn thing just wont die.

Those button transport Tandberg decks are as close to bulletproof as they got... as long as you keep the tape path clean & rubber stuff pliable, they tend to just keep going and going...

And it has a DIN jack, makes it easy to connect to the Voxson :thumbsup:

John

Those button transport Tandberg decks are as close to bulletproof as they got... as long as you keep the tape path clean & rubber stuff pliable, they tend to just keep going and going...

And it has a DIN jack, makes it easy to connect to the Voxson :thumbsup:

John
I've had that Tandberg for almost 30 years and have done nothing but clean the heads on that thing. It got forgotten for a decade and was rediscovered last spring. I record moldy olde's rock off YouTube with it for garage enjoyment. I have a Tandberg Receiver too but it's tired and needs to be recapped. Unfortunately there are no repair shops within a 100 miles to take it too. The Voxson I think I could handle myself as it may need a bit of a overhaul. I can't seem to get the amps full potential out of it and the loudness, bass and treble don't hardly do anything. Then there's that nice 60 hz thumping hum I hear between songs. Ground issue I'd imagine.

Hello Everyone! I have been working on my H202B stereo Amplifiers. I was working from the wrong schematic. This is for anyone working on the B model
i will include its schematic is is different that the H202.. I almost replaced C134 with a 100uf and it was suppose to be 10uf .. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• H202B.pdf
    276.6 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom