Voyager 1&2 still active AMAZING!

It will still be a few years before it meets the Enterprise and Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock. By then it will be V'ger. :thumbsup:
That was/will be Voyager 6. ;)

Don't forget that both Voyagers still have the Golden Record attached to the side. I can only wonder where the aliens would find a replacement stylus to play it with if the included one were to wear out or break.......... :idea:
"SEND MORE CHUCK BERRY"

The memory had at least one memory cell not functional. They had to program around it

The original software launched with the spacecraft was completely re-written several times to modify the mission, save power and keep on trucking

They can up load the new code (or could years ago)

Last major update was back in the ninety's. Good thinking there, as that code wrote a bunch of timed routines that would cycle endlessly on a fixed schedule so the craft could continue to collect and transmit data, even if we lost control. Last I heard, we can still send minor routine tweaks if needed, but they take forever to load and test before going live. Long as we can still get telemetry, we know they're still doing their job. Problem being, there's only one antenna still in service (Canberra) that can still talk to them, and that's going sporadic.

Another problem is that all the original programmers have died or retired. Anybody out there know Fortran or Cobal? ;-}

Somebody mention that space is big?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space"

Last major update was back in the ninety's. Good thinking there, as that code wrote a bunch of timed routines that would cycle endlessly on a fixed schedule so the craft could continue to collect and transmit data, even if we lost control. Last I heard, we can still send minor routine tweaks if needed, but they take forever to load and test before going live. Long as we can still get telemetry, we know they're still doing their job. Problem being, there's only one antenna still in service (Canberra) that can still talk to them, and that's going sporadic.
This, all of it, is just plain.... wrong.

Dec 2017:
V1 does a thruster startup after 37 years of dormancy.
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7014

Antennae:
https://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html
MAVEN_DSN.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom