VPI 3D Printed Tonearm Upgrade? Now Fat Boy?

I think there are a couple of differences between our wands and tone arms. The pad on the wand that contacts with the lift is built up more on mine effectively increasing the lift height. The other is my tonearm base is thicker. Like I said in an earlier post. I had to adjust the pivot point in the bell of the wand to get all my different wands to exchange with the base. The relationship between this pivot point and the lift point has a great effect on how high the effective cue height is. There is a small plastic cap on the top of the 3D bell that you pop off and below is an allen screw you can turn to effect this. The metal wands have this allen screw open without a cap. I ended up lowering the bell on all my wands until the azimuth weights cleared by about .1". Once completed, my cue height and resting post were very similar between all my wands with no further adjustment (except VTA settings unique to each cart).

Your wand appears to need some material added to the lift area on the wand to work like mine.

Does anyone own is? I don't see any photos on how its mounted.

Dual Pivot/Stabilizer Kit - Improves focus on the vocals and makes the arm easier to handle.

Where did you get the knurled screws from?

Soundsmith sells them but you have to buy a variety set with brass, SS, nylon and Aluminum. I only like the Aluminum ones. The Vinyl does not get real tight without stretching and the brass and SS are too heavy. They are handy to set up a cart but I typically replace them with aluminum screws once I get the cart where I want.

Does anyone own is? I don't see any photos on how its mounted.

Dual Pivot/Stabilizer Kit - Improves focus on the vocals and makes the arm easier to handle.
Buddy of mine got one. He reports that it definitely tames the "unipivot wobble" but I have not been over to his house since he installed it. Here's some pics from the 'net:
fetch

vpi_r0009.jpg

fetch

Last edited:
Buddy of mine got one. He reports that it definitely tames the "unipivot wobble" but I have not been over to his house since he installed it. Here's some pics from the 'net:
fetch

vpi_r0009.jpg

fetch

So we need to buy this to fix a design issue?

Sent my tonearm to VPI. They charged me 300.00 to replace the tonearm and a whooping 60.00 for a shipping box. I asked if I need the box and no reply.

And YES 60.00 fot a shipping box, aren't the postal boxes free w/tape?

So we need to buy this to fix a design issue?
It is inherent in all unipivots, not just VPI's. I own 3 VPI 'tables, 2 with unipivot 'arms, and I've never had a problem with the "unipivot wobble." But apparently VPI received enough requests for a solution to it that they designed a stabilizer that can be fitted to all of there 'arms, past and current models.

It is inherent in all unipivots, not just VPI's. I own 3 VPI 'tables, 2 with unipivot 'arms, and I've never had a problem with the "unipivot wobble." But apparently VPI received enough requests for a solution to it that they designed a stabilizer that can be fitted to all of there 'arms, past and current models.

I didn't have a issue with my Scout just my 3-D arm

Last edited:
Don't know, I'll report when I get the new one. If its the same i'll swap it with the metal one.This is my forth VPI

Just received my new arm today, didn't notice any difference's by looking at it, But, then a little. cartridge area seems a little higher.
looks like a extra rib toward the rear but maybe not. I did notice it set up better than the other one and also seems to handle better.
so far I'm impressed for the 365.00.

IMG_8662.JPG IMG_8663.JPG

Back
Top Bottom