VPI HW-16.5 LP Cleaner?

Yamaha B-2

Am on the verge of purchasing a new HW-16.5. Anyone got one for sale that I should look at first? My dealer's shipment arrives last week of the month. Thanks.

Also interested in a RC. From my research this model may indeed be the best value. They seem to sell on eBay for just about $100 less than the usual discounted retail price so buying new may be the way to go.

New price is $450 + $15 shipping. Not terrible, as I see them selling in the $400 range, used. And makes a huge difference in the surface noise of LPs.

Used HW-16 on eBay is now up to $281. And that's before the final flurry of bidding. No brush and must upgrade to a 16.5 to get parts in the future. Upgrade kit is $70, minimum. Ad $50 shipping and now up over $400. Think I'll go for the $50 extra for the new unit. Got a bunch of old Sinatra albums to cleanup :D (along with about 1000 others).

A question for those who are all ready using the HW-16.5. There is no info in the directions about the length of time that one should scrub an LP. Is this simply a 'trial-and-error' OJT exercise? Anyone have any suggestions on what has worked for them?

But, talk about simple set-up and operation. Took longer to get the protective film off of the plexiglas cover (5-minutes, if careful) than any other part of the set-up, which consists of plugging the unit in and getting the cleaning fluid and brush out of their separate bags. Thing is simple and productive.

Thanks.

I have seen grumpy attack an LP, a thrift pickup, which was pretty disgusting. It took him about 2 minutes, of agressive scrubbing with that little brush, and the surface of the LP flooded. When he got done, it was truly amazing. Under all the shit, crap and corruption, the album was in very good condition, really quite quiet.

I just did a 1958 MJQ that I picked up recently, a second time and is better than the first. Think I will give it one more go. I have done about two minutes total, thus far. A learning process. Thanks.

Make no mistake, when I say 'agressive', I mean 'AGRESSIVE!" I was taken aback, for a second, until I heard the results. He used that little microfibre brush that came with the 16.5.

If you are being somewhat gentle, you might want to increase the scrubbing time.

Slightly off topic but I just bought a British import version of J Hendrix Electric Ladyland which was disgustingly filthy(the record not the naked ladies picture on the inside cover!). I scrubbed it in the sink with liquid Dove and a microfiber towel. I then slathered it with D4 fluid and dried it with the Discwasher brush. Probably not a recommended way to clean a record, but I'll ne damned if it didn't sound nearly perfect after this treatment. Please no flames, I am still going to get either the NG 2.5fi or the 16.5

Far be it from me to disparage a method that works.

Did the label survive, intact? IIRC, there is a clamp that seals the label, for washing, in just the manner you described.

Yes, but I was careful to avoid soaking it. Btw, soap was Dawn not Dove. Car detail guys believe that Dawn is an alkaline detergent without added oils that strips off old wax from the car's finish and rinses clear of residue. Don't know if this is unique or even true of Dawn, but the guys on Autopia.org swear by it. Figured why not try it on a grimy fingerprinted and who know's what else record? Remember the old Fisher Manual? dish soap was also recommended back then.

Whatever works is the right thing. I just decidedto get a dedicated system that I can set next to my rig and use ever time I spin another LP, so the 16.5 fits that bill. Have been saving to get one for a while and now was the time. It works well and like all VPI priducts, is well engineered and has a quality build. But, the kitchen sink, Dawn and a good rinse are just fine. But I'm pretty lazy when it comes to things like this, so would probably do it once.

Biggest mistake i see people making with their VPI's is using the supplied brush like a Disc washer. Do not be afraid to scrub the records with the VPI brush. If it makes you feel better take a crap LP can go to town on it before doing so on a good one.

Thanks. I'm learning.

TA gave me a copy of Henry Belafonte's "Belafonte At Carnegie Hall", which he told me is considered by many to be the best live recording ever made (thanks, again, George). As delivered, it was pretty dirty and I listened to one side of one LP. Discwasher could not do it justice, so I set it aside. Just gave it a scrub with the HW-16.5. Dramatic improvement, but will scrub again. Will try with the brush in longitudinal direction rather than across the record.

Last edited:
OMG!, that dirty Salvation Army $1 record that I just experimented on was the rare first edition (Track Records) British import in NM condition after the cleaning! The picture of the naked women was actual the outside cover perhaps folded over by a modest employee of SA? Looked on eBay to find that these go for around $200. Nice score! makes up for all those crappy dollar records that I took a chance on this year.

Punker X said:
I ditched that VPI brush, found these to work much better.
http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=WAMDLPBRUSH-2 X yet another very happy 16.5 owner
And, with the new brush an even happier owner. :D Did one side of an MJQ with the VPI and one with the Music Direct brush (which arrived today). Dramatic difference in the outcome. Surface noise on the MD brushed side is much lower. Thanks for the tip, Mike! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom