VPI Prime Scout w/printed arm and new VPI slip mats

Which mat do you prefer? (see photos below)

• VPI Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VPI Dark gray

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Rush a Farewell to Kings 40th Anniv.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotronix

I'm not completely certain that the slip mats that I received with my Prime Scout are new, but I have not found any photos of them on the web yet. The blue version is quite garish, but everyone who has walked into my studio in the last 36 hours has commented about how much they like it. Go figure.

VPI Prime Scout platters are 11.5" instead of 12 to allow the outer rim of the record to hang over the edge so that the ingenious center clamping system can flatten the entire record. It works remarkably well and is an alternative to the (much!) more expensive outer ring system.

So far, so good. The downside--I've read some things about sound degradation with the Prime Scout clamp engaged; but, if this is the case, I'm certain that the right mat material will mitigate any problems.

My 3:00 client rescheduled for tomorrow so I've got some time to kill. Took some photos of the VPI. Hope you enjoy them. This is a brand new VPI Prime Scout with a unipivot 9" 3D Printed Tonearm. I confirmed that the motor is the same 300 RPM model found on the Prime and Prime Signature, just black instead of an aluminum housing. The cartridge is a real gem: Grado Statement Master 2. I have a Project Tube Box DS, Yamaha AS801 integrated amp, REL Ti/7 sub, and a pair of Bowers and Wilkins 705 S2's with the tweeters on top. The beige/brown colored mat is from the vinyl box set of "A Farewell to Kings." The clear album is Pineapple Thief's "Dissolution." The two other mats came with the Prime Scout. Black is 11.5". Blue is 12".

Attachments

• VPI2.jpg
    VPI2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 65
  • VPI3.jpg
    VPI3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 60
  • VPI5.jpg
    VPI5.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 56
  • VPI7.jpg
    VPI7.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 62
  • VPI1.jpg
    VPI1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 57
  • VPI8.jpg
    VPI8.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 60
  • VPI9.jpg
    VPI9.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 61
  • VPI4.jpg
    VPI4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 56
  • VPI12.jpg
    VPI12.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 59
  • VPI10.jpg
    VPI10.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 60
I’ll admit. I am contemplating buying a VPI. Very intriqued by the Prime Scout.

However, I don’t really like the looks of any of the mats you show. The blue one makes a high precision machine look like a toy.

Would default to black.

IMHO, VPI sounds best with no mat; a mat should only be used for either static control or to cover the platter when the table is not in use. That being said, esthetically I prefer the dark mat.

If anything I'd go for the black mat. It is similar to the Herbie's mat I use. I only use a mat to keep static at a minimum. I use the VPI center clamp and periphery ring clamp so the mat does not affect sound quality as much as it normally would.

No mat for me when playing but I only have a Music Hall 9.1/Dynavector 20x2L.smile Cheers

Back
Top Bottom