VW Golf stationwagon

i've been driving GTIs the last several years, a '13 and since last year a '15. utter reliability in both, which were new leases. i will tell you that the sales manager told me 'you don't want a VW that's out of warranty'....parts replacement costs are brutal.

I have a 2013 TDI. Best car I have ever owned but sadly VW is going to take it away from me. I owned a 2002 Passat gasser before this one. My only advise is to stay on top of maintenance. The 2002 had a sealed transmission...and guess what was the first thing to go. They no longer go this route and even if they did I now know better. There is no such thing as never needs maintenance.

We still have my wifes 2003 TDI bug, which is still going strong.

A good friend owns a VW repair shop and he said the diesels are the only ones he would recommend. But that was before the recall. I have no personal experience with them but was looking for a good car for my daughter.

Sealed transmissions are great for the dealer. You can easily get 100k before any problems but if you plan on keeping your car longer than that then you can guarantee it will fail.

Hey,
2003 GTI here. I like it ok (notice I didn't say love) I've had some problems with it but name a car that will run 165000 miles with no problems. Maybe keeping them new enough to have a warranty would be a way of going. Because maintenance is a tough pill to swallow.
I was considering a diesel as well. Or maybe a Subaru outback or a forester. I just can't bring myself to sign up for the car payments. Eric

Thanks for the info...keep it coming

currently drive a 2009 Corolla 100k+ kilometers.. tougher than a 50 cent steak. Gas, oil, tires is all it ever needs. Still drives almost like new but arthritis demands a vehicle that is easier to get in and out of. Looking for something smaller than a mid size sedan although a Camry is an option.

I bought an '03 Jetta new. It was bulletproof for 11 years and 150,000 miles. Replaced it with a '14 Tiguan, which has been equally dependable so far.

I've had one and the wife has had two (lease cars) over the past couple of years and we've had zero problems.

If I was shopping today (and I love wagons BTW) the Cadillac CT Sport wagon would be at the top of my list. Very comfortable (but much bigger than the VW) and certified prices are starting to bottom out. I think it looks great too.

If I was shopping today (and I love wagons BTW) the Cadillac CT Sport wagon would be at the top of my list. Very comfortable (but much bigger than the VW) and certified prices are starting to bottom out. I think it looks great too.
Me too.
Different price point though

VW owner my entire life until 2005. Bang for the buck VW sucks now a days. Do me a favor, look for newer VW's on your local Craigslist. Almost 80% of them are hovering around the 100K mileage range. People sell them before the timing belt is due since the labor cost for replacement is ridiculously high ($1800 labor/360 parts in my area, which requires unbolting raising/lowering of the motor).

The timing belt for my Acura was done at 120k for around $800 including a new water pump. Shop said the new one will last for 150k miles.

11000 miles so far. Bought the last one sold in North America, 15 minutes before the stop sale. 6 spd. manual. Lovely car. Bought it for extended road trips.

The timing belt for my Acura was done at 120k for around $800 including a new water pump. Shop said the new one will last for 150k miles.

VW recommended change is 80K, mine was ready at 70. Just go to a chain and get it over with already!

Had a test drive this morning ....like the car, the controls came easily to hand and the seating position was very comfortable & snug with just a quick and dirty seat/steering wheel adjustments, hadn't found the sweet spot yet. Had to move the seat fwd and I am 6' 2". Quieter than my Corolla. More than adequate acceleration for me
Also drove a Nissan Altima very nice car with a lot of technology reminded me of my old LeSabre..

2009 jetta wagon with the 2.5 inline 5 gas motor and 5-speed stick-shift. great car, not a luxury sedan, but well built and fun to drive.

also very decent 3-way speakers in the doors....upgraded the head unit to a kenwood with bluetooth, and decided i did not need to upgrade the speakers....i did put a sub in the back though.

Back
Top Bottom