W00t! PL-518

colortrakker

Thinking in color...
Since it's Tuedsay, I was out thrifting. And what to my wandering eyes should appear but a Pioneer PL-518 turntable that had just been dropped off today, priced at the must-have price of $14.98, and summarily snatched up by me. It's gonna replace my Technics SL-B2, which my soon-to-be-vinyl-loving friend now has the option of adopting from me. Nice shape (complete with feet intact!), seems mechanically OK, but the stylus is bent. It's an AT12XE cartridge. Not knowing how the 12XE stacked up back in the '70s, my question is, should I just get a new stylus, or shoot the works and get a new and potentially better cart? Can't wait to hear this beast in action!

Last edited:
A new stylus for that would be, say, $30, and from what I've read this was a pretty low-end cart, so you might as well get a new cart that's also pretty low-end for that price. Or go for an upgrade.

For the PL-518, pop a Grado Black in there ($40). I just got a PL-516 at a yard sale, needs a belt but it's decent otherwise. Had a 518 years ago, I keep my eyes out for 'em when I'm on the prowl...jumped on that 516 for 12 bucks, has a nice Empire on it. Gotta order some TT belts now...got a Yamaha YP-B2 to rebelt (runs a 1/4-tone slow with the slightly-too-tight belt from a Sanyo TT I have around) as well.

Good score on that PL-518! They're great DD 'tables.

Todd in Beerbratistan

Todd in Beerbratistan

They sound it! Because I'm such an impatient bugger and HAD to hear it right now, I swapped headshells with the Technics, which wears a Shure M919ED. Even with that the 518 sounds loads better. It's doing a nice job with Steely Dan right now.

If I went Grado, would it be worth the extra $20 for the Green, or is Black good enough? I wonder about the hum Grados cause - issue with the 518? I might also look at the AT120 as an alternate.

Hum shouldn't be an issue with the 518, though the direct-drive motor does use a frequency-generator servo drive. It's pretty well shielded though. The Grados seem to hum with 'tables that have AC synchronous motors, especially old Duals. My Black hums on my Dual CS-5000 despite the electronic motor, the power transformer is under the platter and unshielded, and the Grado picks up its hum.

The Grado does sound good, though I need to recheck it with a protractor, it's not tracking quite right again. My CS-5000 has that stupid adjustable headshell, and it's hard to get the Grado to "sit" on it right. Next cart I get will probably be a Shure M97xE, from what I've read about it it would be a better match for my Dual, and more mellow and even with my Luxman preamp. The Grado will go on the 516 at that point.

Todd in Beerbratistan

Oblig. pix.:

518-full.jpg

518-cover.jpg

518-arm.jpg

And more ruminations on cartridges: I had a nice pile o' money put into my Payal account today. I've been considering Todd's recommendation of the Grado Black, but now I'm wondering: is this table good enough for a Blue instead? Or should I split the diference and get a Green, since the Blue may even be too good for some of the music I play on it? Hmmmmmm...

I have a PL-516 and a black and I get a hum caused by transfer of vibrations from motor to housing to plate to vinyl to cartridge, or something like that. I don't know what to do. It's a shame I can't lower the noise floor at all. The hum is really obvious.

B3Nut, your PM box is full.

MD1032 said:
I have a PL-516 and a black and I get a hum caused by transfer of vibrations from motor to housing to plate to vinyl to cartridge, or something like that. I don't know what to do. It's a shame I can't lower the noise floor at all. The hum is really obvious.
It's picking up the 60Hz line noise from the motor by induction. Shame Grado's are so prone for this happening. They are great sounding cart's.

516 hum is most likely coming from the power transformer...the motor in the 516 is a frequency-generator servomotor, likely running at a higher freq. than 60Hz, especially when set to 45.

Guess I won't be moving the Black to my 516 after all...have to get an AT for that one when it gets the new belt. Shame that, it sounds really good, if a tad bright in my system.

TP

I just decided on an AT for my 518. That 440ML looks like a real winner. Those horror stories about hum and dance scared me away from Grado.

That's an excellent choice, colortrakker. I used a 440ML briefly with my Sansui (see pic below) and it sounded great.

I ended up using a Benz Glider but the Audio Technica is very smooth for a MM type. I specially liked its superior performance in the inner grooves. A critical aspect in LP reproduction, IMO.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I just picked up a PL-518 at a garage sale for $20 CND. Can anyone tell me how to start it? I'm a turntable newbie and am not very familiar with how they work.

Update: I just looked under the plate and there doesn't appear to any belt.

Last edited:
rulerboyz said:
I just picked up a PL-518 at a garage sale for $20 CND. Can anyone tell me how to start it? I'm a turntable newbie and am not very familiar with how they work.

Update: I just looked under the plate and there doesn't appear to any belt. That could explain why the thing isn't spinning.
PL-518's are direct drive. Hence, no belt.

1) Plug it in.
2) Put a record on the platter.
3) Move the arm from it's rest toward the record.
4) Voila! Platter starts rotating!
5) Enjoy the TT of my youth.

I followed the instructions and I heard some motor noise initially when I moved the arm towards the record. Then nothing, the light comes on when I lift the arm but there is no sign of spinning when I bring the arm down on the record. The sound is working though when I spin it myself.

100_6003.JPG

100_6004.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom