Waaa!

CarlV

Lunatic Member
My less than 2 month old MC275 popped the fuse on start up this morning with a light pop noise in the right channel. :( Nobody in the entire east bay even carries a slo blo 4 amp fuse of that size. :( Guess I'll call House of Music tomorrow. :( I did put the MC60's back in and they are going along quite nicely. :)

Carl

Something in the air?

Carl,

Funny that this should have started as one of my MC-225s went up this weekend with a 'tink' in the speakers and a blown line fuse.

I'm in Santa Cruz....think there's some sort of roving black hole that floats around taking out amps? Not that I'm paranoid or anything......

At least yours is still under warranty.

Cheers,

David

Well my MC-240 will stay on the shelf then...

If there is anything out there taking out the Mac's, I'm not hooking mine up until you guys find it first!!!

Ron

I was just on my way out the door with it. Sorry to hear about yours David.
think there's some sort of roving black hole that floats around taking out amps?
I hope not! I still have my MC60's, 2-MC2100's, and my 300b amps hooked up!
If there is anything out there taking out the Mac's, I'm not hooking mine up until you guys find it first!!!
Chicken!!! ;)

Carl

What bothers me about the fuse blowing...

Is what caused the fuse to blow in the 1st place. With tube amps, I have generally found that they don't just blow fuses for no good reason, there is usually a component going(or already) faulty, or a tube or tranny problem.
Ron

I have only ONE MC-240, yes I am chicken!!!!!! i have no spares.

I took it over there walked in and my salesman came up and greeted me. I showed him the fried fuse he took it over to the tech and showed it to him. The tech as soon as he found out that
it was a MC275 MkIV and it was in my car had the salesman come out and bring the amp in. Looked in the computer to verify my amp and cleared the bench and got down to it immediately.
It was real interesting to watch him attack the problem with all the nice diagnostic equipment he has there.
It turned out to be an output tube. The problem tube reared it's head at @ 1-2 amp load. The tube went off like tossing a ball of tinfoil in a 1500 watt microwave and turning it on :eek: for the 1/2 sec. it took to shut it down anyway.
He scrambled and found a new same but different tube to put in and gave it another complete go through. It turned out just fine,
each channel putting out an actual 92 watts.
He is ordering a pair of new tubes for that channel, sent me off
with a couple of fuses as well. Had a little nice chat as he loaded it in my car and I was on my way.
So it's all OK, and the service after the sale totally first class as you would expect too. :cool:

Carl

Excellent, Carl....

Good to hear things are up and going again.

For the others, I was actually pulling Carl's leg a bit on the blown fuse. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Cheers,

David

Common failure mode, a tube arc will pop the fuse, if you are lucky the screen resistor will not be sacrificed with the fuse. Have seen this with most all brands of tube but most often with the new KT88’s, might be because this is the tube I see most often… You can use a 4A fast blow though it may not like an off/on glitch once the amp is warmed up, any 4A fuse is better than a larger fuse…

Back
Top Bottom