wacky idea? custom VU meter installation??

tonic5

I have a bit of a dilemma as described on my other thread "advice on buying an integrated amp or pre/amp" where I have an 1120 integrated amp with a shot preamp section. I'm thinking of using it just for a power amp (the main amp section is perfect) and using it in conjunction with a preamp or the preamp section of, say, a 1060 int. If I do this, I want to make it pretty, and I may build a custom cabinet for the 1060 if I buy one, and build a matching cabinet for my 1120 which basically covers the entire face (so that it doesn't display all of the non-functional buttons and knobs). If I do that, I think it would be cool to add a couple of VU meters the way a traditional power amp would have.

Does anyone know how VU meters work and if I could easily attach them to some lead in the 1120 so that I could see the power output while I'm driving it with another preamp?

PS--if this is really a silly idea, be nice about saying so :)

I remember a sale on ebay for a complete Mitisubishi system for the '70's Power Pre Tuner and just what your looking for 2 big as in studio quality VU's, I've only seen 1 other unit for sale since last Nov. The Mac folks will tell you the auto diagnostic meter was adapted to show not just watts but a combination of current and something else?? to show a true output of the Amp, this Mitsu unit is not of the same caliber but, very accurate and a fine looking unit, I'm not sure how it connects but, a nice custom built cab with those 3 units would be quite impressive. hope this helps.

Peace Craig:music:

Back
Top Bottom