Waiting for a par of Genelec Triamp S45 YA (Yamaha NS-1000M)

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Zombie, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

An active version of the NS-1000M made by Genelec for the Finnish public service radio studios.
    Pics will come when they arrive (hopefully in one piece). Some say they are scary. 122 dB SPL with very low distorsion.

MannyE and saltwater like this.
  2. saltwater

saltwater AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, I’m interested in seeing/hearing your impressions. Seen your post last night, went to the google and read for an hour about them.

Zombie likes this.
  3. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

I had a pair of 1030s, or 1031s years ago - a little bit bottom-sounding but with plenty of power and massive sound. I think Genelec would do a great job of this.....

4. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

So cool! These were made in 1978 and actually (I think) were the original speakers made by Genelec. You might call these the prototypes of what was to come from Genelec later. I read that there were only 70 pairs made as per the order and that what Genelec did was to remove the internal passive crossovers and strap on three amps and an external active crossover network. These are likely the "ultimate NS-1000" speakers. If they are original they will likely need biasing and a recap but what a find!

5. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

What I've read is that there are only six elcos in them, the filter caps for the PSU for each amp. The rest are film. Have seen the amp schematics to on the net, it is similar to the Genelec S60? amp. Will get them tomorrow. :p

6. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

They have arrived, but was a disappointment. Firstly one amp is faulty, lots of static with varying strong amplitude which makes it unlistenable. Second issue is that they must have been stored in a very humid place a long time. There is rust and corrosion absolutely everywhere. Just wonder what the humidity has done to the beryllium domes and paper cones...
    Have ordered the big PSU caps and will replace them and have another look. Seller of course claims that they are just fine and worked before they were sent.

7. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

Hope they can be salvaged and that you can get them up and running soon.

Zombie likes this.
  8. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

Please show some before pics - so curious to see this construction. Heard so much about them

Zombie likes this.
  9. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

I will take some pics tomorrow, if possible

saltwater likes this.