Walkie talkie ?

Army

Addicted Member
Kam mentioned the preferred walkie talkie for the fest is the Motorola T5500AA
I have a pair of Motorola T5300's would the frequencies be the same. And or would they be the same for other brands? :dunno:

I have wondered the same thing. I have a cheapy pair of Cobra's. The TT5500AA is near impossible to find anywhere around here.

If the are FRS radio's and no one is using sub frequencies or encryption. All you have to do is agree on a channel. All brands will work together.

These FRS talkies are awesome. We were using them thru 2-3 miles of river canyons 2 years ago. They make CB's look sick.

You are right, finally found enough W/T and batteries last night and the Motorola's work just fine with a pair of others I have.

Army

I'm disappointed in my Cobra's. Can only get maybe 2 blocks distance but the area I live in is notorious for shitty reception of any thing from Radio stations to Cell phones.

Nice to know they will work with the others. Now to buy a crap load of AA's Batteries. Fricking things eat em for breakfast !

hey fellas, grumpy, You ever drive to Toronto, Ontario? I'd like to come to the Fest, but am unsure. I was told it might be a 6 hour drive? :scratch2:

4 hours tops to here from toronto

I have friends that have made the trip in just a little over 3 hours. Depends on how you drive and traffic.

Bolly....

I make the trip from Milton to Chatham on a fairly regular basis...... a little over 2 hours. Add another hour to get to the border at Windsor.

I would estimate another 30 minutes once you are over the border.

For me I am estimating it works out to about 3.5 hours... I think Grumpy's 4 hour estimate from TO is fairly good. Note that is probably straight driving time... no allowance for a lengthy rest stop.

From the Barrie area, you are probably need to consider allowing an hour to get to Milton area, so I would say you could do it in about 4 1/2 hours....cruising at around 120km/hr or better.

I've done it a few times and if you value your license, figure 4 hours + border time which can be no biggy all the way up to 'WTF?'.

I live in Newmarket and I'm bringing my wife (= a few stops) and I figure if I get there in 6 hours I'm happy.

mapquest route ?

I just checked out Mapquest, and the suggested route from Toronto is via 402 through Sarnia, and then head down I-94W from Port Huron to Detroit.

It looks like that route might actually cut 5 or 10 miles off the trip, but I'm thinking that travelling via Windsor makes more sense. I wouldn't have even considered going via Sarnia if Mapquest hadn't suggested it.

Interestingly, although the mileage difference is not too significant, the route via Sarnia appears to cut down travel time by more than 15 minutes..... Also the border at Port Huron is likely less busy I would think.

The difference may boil down to speed limits and enforcement on the 401/402 highways on the CDN side vs. I-94 on the US side.

Any comments?

Last edited:
I always take the Sarnia Route versus Windsor. Less traffic, Less miles and definitely a ton less border traffic at the Blue Water bridge. Not to mention the damn tunnel cost 4 or 5 bucks to cross.

This may be the one and only time Mapquest got it right.

Grumpy

Well since this turned into the drive to thread, which is just fine by me.

I've got a question.

I plan on bringing and using my fuzz buster in route. Are they legal in Michigan? :dunno:

Or should I put it away at the border?

Don't want any hassles with Johnny law :no:

grumpy said:
I'm disappointed in my Cobra's. Can only get maybe 2 blocks distance but the area I live in is notorious for shitty reception of any thing from Radio stations to Cell phones.

Nice to know they will work with the others. Now to buy a crap load of AA's Batteries. Fricking things eat em for breakfast !

Grumpy, I have both Cobra's and Midlands, the Mids are much better performance wise, and we ran them 6-8 hours a day for 4 days up hunting, on a single set of batts and still had power left. Might be cheaper in the long run to get better radios rather than feed them batteries...

always learning something..

Thanks Grumpy..... never know what you might learn here at AK!!

BTW, sorry for hijacking the radio thread...

Army

They are legal here far as I know. In Canada its another story but I don't think your heading there.

Once you guys hit Michigan roads you will see why I call then the Autobahn here. Our speed limits are 65-75 and these assholes will blow past you doing 90 in the slow lane.

Be Very alert here ! They issue licenses out of cracker Jack boxes and half the drivers cant read or write English.

Army said:
Well since this turned into the drive to thread, which is just fine by me.

I've got a question.

I plan on bringing and using my fuzz buster in route. Are they legal in Michigan? :dunno:

Or should I put it away at the border?

Don't want any hassles with Johnny law :no:

bolly said:
me sorry too Army! I have a Regency HX1500 scanner if that counts. :D

No worrys, I could care less what direction this thread takes.

Better to get the questions asked and answered, so we don't run into problems later:thmbsp:

Grump know what you mean about crazy arse drivers, I've driven in a number of major cities. The speed limit is just a suggestion rather than the rule. Go with the flow or get your butt run over. Makes it a lot more fun for the navigator :D

Edit: Geez where are my manors today, Thanks everyone for your help :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom