Walking Gingerly Around My New Sansui FR-3060, Help

Andrew Heck

I just got a new to me FR-3060 and put exactly where my old Technics lived. I installed a Grado Prestige Black exactly like my old Technics had. I set the tracking force to 1.65 grams exactly like I did on my Technics. However, the Sansui skips if you look at it wrong as you walk by unlike my Technics. Am I missing something? It has three weights on the arm and I have all of them in use. Should I try removing the side counter-weight? The anti-skate weight has been tried in most every position down from the tracking force's setting as per the manual. Is there a sweet spot with increasing the anti-skate force? I know that the Black has a bad tracking reputation, but I didn't have this problem previously. Please advise. I'm tired of holding my breath as I listen to music.

I know nothing about your current table but if all other things are the same I'd anticipate that the new table doesn't have the suspension/damping the old one did.

Go to vinyl engine and download the manuals and operating guide.
Definitely check the suspension. Also, I would verify the tracking force with a stylus gauge. Does the arm float freely when balanced ? Could be arm bearings.
Sansuis are really good tables especially for the money. I have had several and they have all performed well.

also, try to increase the tracking force to 2 grams and see.
And Check the shipping screws !

Taking a quick look at the Service Manual on VE, the diagram shows parts called "spring floats". You have a turntable that uses springs to suspend the table. (I am assuming the Technics you had was not a suspended design - most Technics are not). The problem with this design is that they can be very sensitive to vibrations - typically the problem is footsteps on a wood floor. The solution is to isolate the table from that vibration. Additional mass under the turntable (between the turntable and the furniture it sits on) and some damping materials may do the trick (I don't know - don't own a suspended turntable). From what I have read here and elsewhere, the best solution for this is to get it off the floor by using a wall shelf for the turntable. Search and read some more on solutions. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom