Wall Mounted CD Storage

jebfour

Hello Everyone,

I'm still new here, so I hope that I'm posting this in the correct place....

I'm looking to move my 500+ CD's (and growing) to a wall mounted storage/display unit to save floor space (my listing room is fairly small). I've looked into items like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Venture-Horizon-2422-60DW-Mounted-Multimedia/dp/B0062KALJW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

but I'm worried about the shelves “sagging” like my current “cheap-o” unit.

I have a fair amount of building experience, etc., but if I could purchase a quality item for a reasonable price I would go that route (my time is worth something!). What do you use?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

If you must wall mount, I prefer something along the lines of these made by "Techstyle". IKEA used to make something very similar many years ago but it's been long since discontinued.

Techstyle-Large-Wall-Mounted-CD%2F-DVD-%2F-Media-Storage-Shelves.jpg
Techstyle-Wall-Mounted-Glass-and-Chrome-CD-Media-%2F-Bathroom-Storage-Shelves.jpg

IKEA also had something cheap called the LERBERG which was only $5 per rack but I think these were also discontinued. They could be mounted horizontally for CD's or vertically for DVD's.

IMG_6782copy.jpg

If you're somewhat handy, and have a table saw, you can make a pretty cool CD rack by simply cutting grooves in a piece of wood with a dado blade.

You could use a skinny piece and make strips or use a big piece of plywood or hardwood and make something poster sized.

The only issue would be the wasted space between each disk. I think these look really cool, but you could only fit about 1/2 the amount of CDs in the same space if it were shelves.

Here are some images I stoled off the interwebs.

Attachments

• FetchImage.ashx.gif
    FetchImage.ashx.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 95
  • CDstorage2.jpg
    CDstorage2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 83
  • CDstorage4.jpg
    CDstorage4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 36
Some good ideas here! I've found some of the $5 Ikea racks on other sites......but for $50-60 (ouch!). Like the look of the Techstyle racks, but need more storage capacity (I could always mount a couple of them). I couldn't find them in the states, but will continue to look.

I really like the idea of the grooved boards, but fear that it may take up a lot of space (sounds like you ran into that).

Thanks for the ideas!

I'd like to say thank you to those that responded! However, I finally found a way to make my floor rack "work" in the room. Wasn't too sure about having that much weight hanging off the wall....

I live in the tropics, this is how I need to do it:

I try to avoid particle board, chip board, press board, etc., especially in high humidity environments, as humidity + weight = sagging.

This may be helpful to you as well.

Merry Christmas,

Rob

The Lerbergs can be had for $20 each which is not cheap but they are very well built and will last forever.

They work beautifully in my room.

Nice idea, but I'm not a big fan of drilling holes on walls. And if the shelving is a woof particle board, you're almost guaranteed its going to bow with that amount of weight on it.

Got lucky the other day at Local GW and found a 5 pack of ikea lerberg holders for $3. woot:yes:

Back
Top Bottom