wall problem

14 feet is a relatively short distance. You would be better served to provide absorption on that rear wall. Then diffusion could then be added on top of that. Having a hard reflective rear wall will have a better chance of bluring the sound image and creates other acoustic anomalies.

Here you see a primitive root diffuser on top of 4-inces of rigid insulation (OC 703)

Picture63.png

Here is how how it was placed on the rear wall of the studio between two bass traps-
Picture64.png

There is another option of creating Polycylindrical diffusers, but I've found that Primitve-root diffusers are nicer in small rooms.

Picture69.png

Last edited:
those are cool ideas. I understand what you are describing now, Volvoheretic. I better start gathering some wood.

Mike Sommer.. the wall is 22' Length X 8' Height. I like your ideas, though.

If you provide a a quick sketch of the room with dimensions along with how you plan to set up your listening space and all the rooms other details, I can come up with something for you.

My immediate respons is that you should set your speakers on the shorter wall, rather than on the longer one. If the longer wall is your only option, then symmetry is very important... well it's always important.

Mike Sommer...

I'm just in the day dream stages for this project and it is a lot of fun to play with different ideas. I like your ideas. I'm thinking ahead. I'm going to at least paint but I should deal with the fallen off plaster patches. You never know. Anyway...

The wall where the speakers are is 18' length.
If you face the speakers...
the wall on the right is 24' length.
the wall on the left is 11' length.
the wall behind is 22' length.

the 11' wall is glass half way down from the ceiling and has a door that goes out onto a balcony facing the north west. This is the 15th floor of a condo.

The speakers are usually about 8 or 9' apart and centered on that 18' wall.

The primary listening area is centered between the speakers about 8' to 12' from the speakers. Otherwise listening is all over the place including the floor. Not much furniture.

Understood.

BUT, if you take the time to sketch out your room, all preconceived notions are eliminated, and we can better visualize what you have. Right now wall lengths are just pictures in the air.

I'm catching a plane in a couple of hours and I still have to pack. I'll be gone for just over a week. I don't think there is any computers where I'm going. Have fun everyone. Thank you for ideas to think about.

As a disclaimer, I am just drawing wood paneling on the walls that look good with no idea or knowledge of acoustics.:)

Back
Top Bottom