WalMart Strikes Again!!!

Funny thing about Walmart is they go out of their way to hire union contractors tonerrect their buildings ,they also have the 2nd largest fleet of trucks in the US and start new drivers off at $95,000 a year base salary ,after 5 years driving for Walmart it becomes a $200k a year job ,they have the lowest employee turnover in all of trucking at less than 7% .

I myself say screw Walmart and don't shop there except for 1 item I cannot get elsewhere ,that item is crab bisque .

What job would that be ?

I spent 32 years in the commercial & industrial bldg trades ,I'd love to know what job OSHA wouldn't skewer you over for putting a handicapped worker on your job site ,can you imagine the fines we're a handicapped worker to be injured on the jobsite ? Nowdays OSHA prosecutes employers and Foreman's who put any workers life at risk and people are serving life sentences now for faulty saftey programs that allow death of a worker .

9a2ce1622c01a67d99240c10d4131561.jpg

On a side note, many Wal-Marts are open 24/7 and allow overnight parking for campers. If you are trekking across the country, this means a safe place to park your camper.

We've done this multiple times in our journeys across the country.
Always go inside first ,say hello to the greeters,buy something and ask the store manager if it's alright to stay overnight.
Never been turned down.

Bob

I've read some posts regarding 'staying overnight', 'parking rvs overnight' overnight etc, in WalMart's parking lots and that it's a safe thing to do.
I'm not so sure. A few years back there's was several people hurt and hospitalized from a violent incident in a local WalMart parking lot but just recently (like in the last couple of weeks) there's been a couple more and one of them resulting in a death (this was inside the store and reprted by the local news).
Being the pragmatic fellow I am, I understand there can be violent, criminal and dastardly activity most anywhere but in the examples I cited above there's damn sure a common theme.

Does your favorite store employ people like Adam? Do you?

It'll probably be very difficult for this guy to find an other job and that sucks for him, but do you know why? Because very few businesses are willing to do what Wal-Mart has been doing (in Adam's case) for the last ten years.

Wal-Mart might keep Adam due to the publicity. If they do, they risk a discrimination lawsuit every time they fail to hire an applicant who can't perform the duties outlined in the job description because they're letting Adam slide. No good deed will go unpunished and unintended consequences and all that crap.

While we are on the subject of holding Wal-Mart to a higher standard, pay was mentioned. In my town, Wal-Mart's starting pay is about average for the type of work. I know a guy who has worked for Wal-Mart for coming up on two decades and he makes nearly 19 bucks an hour. Not management (or even a particularly good worker), just been there a long time.

In case you haven't got experience in this industry in the Deep South, that's pretty damn good for unskilled indoor work.

I'm not particularly fond of Wal-Mart, but it's unfair to see so much vitriol heaped on them for treating their employees about the same as nearly every similar business.

My experience in my town. Your mileage may vary.
I'd say it was the least they could do considering they regularly under pay employees, don't offer healthcare, or paid sick time. IMO they deserve the vitriol; they've been riding on the backs of their employees for years, and they purchase tolerance for their greed with the appearance of good will. .

What job would that be ?
Simple.

The construction site where our house is being built has caution tape and signs all over, yet we know for a fact that people have walked through the house on weekends (he's had other offers on the house from people who love the floor plan). You could hire a "greeter" on weekends and after hours to keep people from entering. Probably not cost effective, though. I'm sure his construction insurance is cheaper than hiring people to do the job.

Maybe that's the way Walmart looks at it now.

Sucks and I know it. walmart sucks and I know that as well. Place smells like a basket of pissy diapers. But they've given an unemployable a job for 10 years. They should get credit for that since I can't think of many places that would employ someone with that level of disability.

Not necessarily greed, just the usual American Way. We are better at distributing responsibility than any other nation in the world. We say we love freedom, but what we really love are rules. So, a new rule was formed, and nobody will take the responsibility needed to break it.

Not necessarily greed, just the usual American Way. We are better at distributing responsibility than any other nation in the world. We say we love freedom, but what we really love are rules. So, a new rule was formed, and nobody will take the responsibility needed to break it.

Substitute money for responsibility and you have a truism. All policy is great as long as you do not have to pay for it.

Sucks and I know it. walmart sucks and I know that as well. Place smells like a basket of pissy diapers. But they've given an unemployable a job for 10 years. They should get credit for that since I can't think of many places that would employ someone with that level of disability.
What you are missing is that after Walmart moves into a town there are few if any businesses left to employ ANYBODY, much less this guy. So the place who might have found a place for him no longer exists. Hell, even charities dry up, a bake sale can’t compete with the prices at Walmart! If a company makes itself the only game in town then it should have a sense of social responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom