WalMart Strikes Again!!!

Did you guys know that Walmart has life insurance on all of its disabled employees and collect when they die never sharing any of the proceeds with the family of the deceased employee. It’s a matter of fact...

Why don't we take some time to qualify this: First, when I said under paid, I meant compared to the same job at another company. From what you said I can assume you were NOT an hourly employee.

You could assume the second, but you'd be wrong. I was hourly the whole time at Wal-Mart.

As to the first, that's not what I personally experienced and saw, nor does it match what I've been told by many friends working for various other retail grocery companies. In fact, everyone I know who changed employers for more money either changed to Wal-Mart from another company (one from Winn Dixie within the last eight months) or left the retail grocery business entirely.

Hey, it may be a regional thing, but your (and other's) assertions just won't hold water in my area.

You could assume the second, but you'd be wrong. I was hourly the whole time at Wal-Mart.

As to the first, that's not what I personally experienced and saw, nor does it match what I've been told by many friends working for various other retail grocery companies. In fact, everyone I know who changed employers for more money either changed to Wal-Mart from another company (one from Winn Dixie within the last eight months) or left the retail grocery business entirely.

Hey, it may be a regional thing, but your (and other's) assertions just won't hold water in my area.
You are very right in saying it's a regional thing. Most if not all of the retail outfits in the New England area pay better wages than our local Walmarts do.

In court filings, Walmart says the amounts of payouts on the 132 Florida employee policies ranged from $55,000 to $90,000. It said the program was intended to help pay rising employee healthcare costs. It didn't work out and was cancelled in 2000. Surviving family members, like Armatrout and Atkinson, want a share of the $9.6 million Walmart collected on employee life insurance policies. But first, the Florida Supreme Court has to decide if they have standing, that is, the right to sue.

The Walmart store & the employee in question were featured in our local TV news this morning. Seems they're trying to work something out so the employee can stay on.

It's important to keep in mind that it was good of Walmart to have been able to furnish the individual with employment in the first place. Given the individual's disabilities, there were doubtlessly many perfectly valid reasons for him never to have been hired to begin with - in which case this discussion would not even be taking place. (No good deed goes unpunished as they say. ;))

It should not be forgotten that a negative ruling could also have serious consequences to future hirings - if it ever comes to that.

In any case, I hope they can work something to the satisfaction of all concerned.

Last edited:
Did you guys know that Walmart has life insurance on all of its disabled employees and collect when they die never sharing any of the proceeds with the family of the deceased employee. It’s a matter of fact...

Fake news! ;-}

Correct that to "had" vice "has", and yes, they did do the "dead peasant" insurance thing along with a whole bunch of major corporations, but quit a couple decades ago. You may be quoting Michael Moore, and he never has been all that great at fact checking.

YMost if not all of the retail outfits in the New England area pay better wages than our local Walmarts do.

Better wages AND the same level of health benefits? A lot of long time union shops are now accepting pay cuts or freezes to keep as much of their health insurance as possible now that rates are going thru the roof. Gotta cut somewhere, eh.

Fake news! ;-}

Correct that to "had" vice "has", and yes, they did do the "dead peasant" insurance thing along with a whole bunch of major corporations, but quit a couple decades ago. You may be quoting Michael Moore, and he never has been all that great at fact checking.

Nope....

Saw this on a recent documentary on the influence of corporate life in America....

He has performed the job that he was hired to do in an exemplary manner. Now WalMart has changed the job description for the position he was hired for. Doesn't seem right. The companies that I've worked for have only changed job descriptions when filling a vacant position.

-Dave

Like I need even more of a reason, reasons to never see the insides of another WM or SC again!

They have been dead to me and the wife for many years now.

Let us just say for now and be done with it, there are to many reasons and issues that can not be discussed on AK!

Something oft forgot, all of you cretins who now do most of their shopping online instead of the brick and mortar stores are what's making it difficult for employers to keep folk working ...

Hmmmm ... let me rephrase that.

All of US cretins who now do most of their shopping online instead of the brick and mortar stores are what's making it difficult for employers to keep folk working ... hell, I even do a lot of my grocery shopping online nowadays ... ;-}
I shop online only for very small items or items that aren’t locally available. I wish everyone who wanted to live in a true community would do likewise. I also only shop at chains when the same items aren’t available from independent stores.

Leaves me out - I'm off in the middle of nowhere and like it that way. I'm sure the "true communities" in the area don't much miss me either. ;-}

I'll freely admit I got out a LOT more before getting drastically discomboobalated in spades a while back in a motorcyle accident. Since then, I sing praises for the days when online shopping comes to my rescue. I'll still get out and about when I can, and fortunately right now am between surgeries ...

(can I get a one legged dancing banana??)

EDIT > > Couldn't find one, so I made my own. Long as I was making my own, I made it a pickle.
It's Pickle sKiZo !!

dancing%20pickle.gif

Last edited:
I'll de-rail this thread as far as I want to--I started it. Both of my local WalMart stores have greeters, and they are either disabled or a million years old and trying to supplement whatever retirement income they receive. I don't expect them to load my new TV or microwave into my vehicle. They can hand me a cart and check my receipt when I leave--that's what they're there for--and nothing else.

I started this thread because I feel it wrong to terminate an employee of 10+ years simply because you want more out of them than they can offer, and far beyond what you required of them when hired. This is not just WalMart bashing--any employer that fits the description should be held in equal contempt.

I own a construction company, and I take care of my employees. I was involved in a motor vehicle accident last year and am somewhat disabled as a result of it. I could just bail and retire, but there are too many people that rely upon me for a paycheck. I'll "float" them money, or just downright give it to them if the sh*t hits the fan. It is what it is, and life happens--so I just try to roll with it. Employees are easy to find--good employees are few and far between. Rant over...

I actually met this guy, been to this walmart many a time.

He met with walmart officials and so far: TFB

walmart is balls deep in the self service cashier move due to $10.10 or $15 or whatever the movement is called and are redefining the job duties of ALL positions.

Back
Top Bottom