WalMart Strikes Again!!!

I guess I can chime in on this a little. I was employed by WM (hourly) for 12 years, 10 years full time and the last 2 years part time.
My wife went to work for WM a week after we got married. She still works there 2 days a week and our 40th wedding anniversary is in May.

Much has changed over the years when Sam was alive. He truly cared about his employees and his business.

Here is a small part my story. I have worked in retail most of my life, with 40 years in working grocery stores. I enjoyed the work and enjoy helping people. I am a people person and take pride in my work and being a good employee. I have never been fired from a job and every yearly evaluation I had at WM I was given "exceeds expectations" for my work ethic, customer service, knowledge and quality of work. I was given a 4-5% raise annually. They changed that policy about 4 years ago and began giving basically everyone a 2% annual raise if you met their standards. This was when they raised the starting wage for new bites to $10/hr and the following year raised it to $11 for new hires. What they hired was mostly young kids who wanted to make money, but not have to do any work for it.
A year ago they were re-structuring and were giving grocery employees a new job offer which required a person to work in all grocery departments on demand and they gave a choice of working 4am-1pm or 1pm-10pm. They never gave me a new job offer and just quit scheduling me. I asked why I was not on the schedule and was told I wouldn't be on the schedule until they made me a job offer. They never gave me a job offer. No reason given. I am not aware they did this to anyone else, but this is what they did to me. Pretty crappy deal IMO, but not really a big deal. I began drawing SS a couple of years prior, so I still had an income and I spent the next 10 weeks getting paid my accrued PTO and nearly 200 hours of sick pay. Once that was gone I went in and quit so I could get my retirement account and invest.
My wife still works 2 days a week and they keep cutting her hours back to 8-10 hours a week. She also draws her SS, so it's not a big deal.

WM used to be a decent place to work, once upon a time. But no longer! They no longer give a shit about their employees (both in store and corporate) not their customers. They want the customers money, but do as little for the customer as they can get by with.

Management, from co-managers up to the President of the company do everything they can to make their HUGE yearly bonuses as big as possible by treating their employees like crap, not paying them a living wage and hiring mostly part time help. Staffing the stores with minimal help and offering no customer service to assisting its customers while management get massive yearly bonuses for executing the screw job.
Getting rid of door greeters does not surprise me in the least!

Rant over!

It would seem the moral of the story is that no good deed goes unpunished and Wal Mart should've never had greeters in the first place. :rolleyes:

In the real world, there is no such 100% perfect job security. It's a simple fact that jobs are created, lost and job descriptions change every day throughout corporate America- indeed the world over. Things change and s*** happens, as they say. The sooner this is accepted as a basic fact of life, the better off for all concerned.

Last edited:
It would seem the moral of the story is that no good deed goes unpunished and Wal Mart should've never had greeters in the first place. :rolleyes:

In the real world, there is no such 100% perfect job security. It's a simple fact that jobs are created, lost and job descriptions change every day throughout corporate America- indeed the world over. Things change and s*** happens, as they say. The sooner this is accepted as a basic fact of life, the better off for all concerned.
Yeah, let them eat cake.

If an employee isnt making money for the business, they need to be let go. Walmart must have decided that greeters are no longer making the company money.. I am self employed with zero employees. Should i feel obligated to hire someone just to give them a paycheck at my expense?

In this particular case though, an argument could be made that the employee in question WAS making that store money. It sounds like he was a great ambassador for that store, and he certainly brought customers in the door.

If an employee isnt making money for the business, they need to be let go. Walmart must have decided that greeters are no longer making the company money.. I am self employed with zero employees. Should i feel obligated to hire someone just to give them a paycheck at my expense?

In this particular case though, an argument could be made that the employee in question WAS making that store money. It sounds like he was a great ambassador for that store, and he certainly brought customers in the door.
I don't know if he was making them money , but I bet if he was let go , Walmart would lose some money .

I don't know if he was making them money , but I bet if he was let go , Walmart would lose some money .

He is only one of many. He made the national news due to social media, but pretty much every WalMart store has a disabled or elderly greeter. This is not about one person at one store.

I am an employer, and it's tougher than you think. I have guys that have been with me for 20+ years, and none of us are what we were 20 years ago. I've been to their kids graduations and weddings, and watch them with their first grandchild. There is no amount of money to put a price tag on that. No--I can't sling two bundles of shingles over my shoulder and go up a 40' ladder, but if it's 3 am and something happens at your house, I know who to call, and we'll be there.

He is only one of many. He made the national news due to social media, but pretty much every WalMart store has a disabled or elderly greeter. This is not about one person at one store.

I am an employer, and it's tougher than you think. I have guys that have been with me for 20+ years, and none of us are what we were 20 years ago. I've been to their kids graduations and weddings, and watch them with their first grandchild. There is no amount of money to put a price tag on that. No--I can't sling two bundles of shingles over my shoulder and go up a 40' ladder, but if it's 3 am and something happens at your house, I know who to call, and we'll be there.

Your experience counts for more than brute strength. I would rather have the guys with experience. The job might take a little longer, but it will get done right.

And as noted before , this young gentleman was able to do the job he was hired . It was only when Walmart changed the job parameters , did he fear of losing his job . As with all social stories , there are many twists and turns involved .

reported today that walmart will let him greet at the self serve checkout

be advised that the ONLY reason walmart is doing this is the move from 7.25 to up to $15 minimum. double the lowest salary (not quite true, most walmarts now start at $10) and something has to give.

you want low prices or not?

so by scheduling less hours, automating service, and making ALL employees potential stock 'boys' they absorb labor costs into overhead. does anyone remember the signs in every walmart that if more than 3 people are in line they will open another register?

the only mistake walmart made was to NOT shove an iron bar with magnets up sams tookus and wrap his coffin in copper wire when they buried him. none of the guiding principles of what founded that store exist today. True, we can say that about ANY business except wegmans, but walmart is almost singly responsible for ending independent retailer america.

was that good or bad? you decide...but note, no one likes working for them or shopping there and people confuse the fact that others HAVE to and call it acceptance.

Walmart sucks ass along with Sams Club IMHO I will never darken the doorway of either in my lifetime again. Sams Club closed it's doors locally last year in Feb here the coldest darkest time of year they announced the closing to the public and their employees 2 weeks before locking the doors. It had a awful impact on everyone hundreds of jobs were lost thousands of people were affected by this local businesses restaraunts people who lived in rural settings that bought in bulk were just left high and dry

Walmart - the whipping post of the oppressed. Let's all drive to Starbucks and buy a 10 cent cup of coffee for 5 bucks. Lunch at MacDonalds, anyone?

It's all about corporate greed and making the rich richer. To quote the Supreme Court “Modern corporate law does not require for-profit corporations to pursue profit at the expense of everything else, and many do not.” But wal mart does and will continue to do so. As I predicted.....the young man will keep his job......for now. But he will be let go soon enough that I can safely guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom