walsh tweeter design/rebuild

I think that is the original design. There is a lot of info out there if you can wade through it.

By 'that', what do you mean? There are two different tweeter structures in the picture I was responding to. I assumed the one with the aluminum faceplate was the original, and that the circular plastic one with an adaptor was a replacement. But that was just an assumption, and maybe I have it backwards.
I might add that when I bought the pair of Infinities that had the Linnaem replacement tweeters in them, I also bought 5 or 6 of the icecream cone tweeters, all new and all but one in unopened boxes. Why the guy had them, and chose to use a Linneam beats me.
I sold them to a friend, who sold at least a pair of them to John Strohbean (sp?) at Ohm.
As far as I know, all of them had the metal rounded square faceplate.

Have you read this entire thread. From what I have read the one with the flat face plate, metal dome, & wavy line cone is the first that came with them. The one, and this is not confirmed, with the stepped face place & circular pattern cone was a replacement in the series. I call Infinity and they were no help. The 1st WTL fits the description by glorocks. None of this is verified, but an assumption. Anyway, since I had 2 different tweeters bodies, and both dead, I decided to find a matched pair to substitute. The RS tweeters fit the bill and sounded great, although I have never heard the original to make an educated comparison.

Well, I thought I'd read the whole thread and even posted multiple times early on, but, having looked to check, I realize I haven't. But all I was asking was which tweeter face you meant - I was asking for clarification, not to challenge you - so not sure why it matters how much I've read.
But I'll now read the whole thing.

No offense taken. I just want to help clarify any statements I've made. I am by no means an expert of this. Just my observations & dealing with what gear I have. And what I've read. If anyone else out there has a correction, I happy to hear it. That's how the hobby grows.

Oh, and by "that", I believe yours are the first tweeters bases used. If someone that worked at Infinity would chime it that would help, much.

Okay -now that I've actually read the whole thing (I admit I skimmed some posts), I realize that I only got involved about three years after it started, by suggesting that the Walsh tweeter was actually more similar to the Hegeman water lily tweeter used by Eico in the late 50s than it was to the full range Walsh driver. But I also suspect that my tweeters (three pairs, so six, not six pairs as I misremembered) are the ones that got discussed in the 2012 part of the thread.
The Hegeman water lily tweeter is pretty simple - a piece of graph paper formed into a cone (not bothering to cut off the corners) and glued, in the same way as the Walsh tweeter, to the voice coil of a tweeter. It's possible that paper might be a less resonant material than aluminum foil, and thus simplify the damping required. And given that the voice coils of many cone tweeters are smaller than that of dome tweeters, there might be better high frequency extension. Or not - just guessing.

Looking for a voice coil.
Someone sniped me on eBay today for 2 walshes.
They were slick, my max bid was way to low! Live and learn.

Is the voice coil in those pictures? I can't see it, or the lead wires. Which makes the donut shaped piece of foil more mysterious.

The voice coil ought to be easier to find than the Walsh cone, assuming that the voice coil is just the one that was in the SEAS dome. If the cutting out of the dome is as Jay described it, you could use a regular version. Or as gary7 suggests, other very easy to find tweeters might also be good candidates for dedoming.

You also have to look at the height of the dome. The first Dayton tweeters I tried the dome set out too much, plus the center magnet set too far down the center. The RS tweets I use were close to the second version with the soft dome. Only sat a little high as I mentioned in my thread. on the Monitor II's I refurbed.

The grove for my VC was factory glued off center. the VC was pinched so tight that it was destroyed in the disassembly. I'm not sure it could have ever worked.
Now I need a voice coil and dome, 25.5mm seems like the size.
Inside is 24.72 MM outside is 26.50. 25.5 would be right in the middle.
Now, what about watts, frequencies, etc.etc. ???

Sounds as if the magnet became off center and pinched the coil.
Recentering the magnet may have salvaged it, unless off course there was break in the wire.

Back
Top Bottom