Walter Becker has died

Interesting perspective:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...nes-poignant-tribute-to-walter-becker-w501078

I purchased every SD album when it came out and wore each one out several times. I remember their resurgence when the CD came out, but remained a fan. The musicians that worked with Walter have so many great stories....I think those are what I'll remember the most. I knew something was up in July when they performed at Classics West without Walter (nor Jon Herrington).

Cold, daring
No flies on me

Last edited:
Was a latecomer to Steely Dan ... mid 00's as I recall ... but had a copy of Aja (even all the way back in the 8 Track days) for years.

Steely Dan was the backdrop of my high school and college days and even this week I played Aja and Gaucho and just marveled at the talent. Lots of Dan Fans are mourning Walter's death but thankful to have his music, still. RIP Walter Becker.

Rip, I been listening a lot to Walter's latest solo work and actually just took in Donald Flagen at Ruth Eckerd hall in Florida, great show heavy with Steely Dan songs.
I just saw Donald in Louisville and was a great show.

I listened to their music back in the 70's but was never that crazy about it then. I must not have been mature enough.. Now is a different story, and just about every playlist I create has several SD in it.
Sad to think part of that great group is gone.. RIP Walter Becker. Think I know what I am playing this evening...

Back in the day, I always heard Steely Dan but never thought much of them except for "catchy tunes." Then one day I actually listened and afterwards proceeded to buy every album I could find by them (this was maybe the late 70s or early 80's?).
RIP.

Same. I've found that sometimes, the certain music doesn't catch on right away, but then one day you "get it" and you're hooked for life.

Steely Dan Greatest Hits was one of the most played records during my university years during the 1980s. When CDs came out, I purchased the entire SD catalogue. "Gaucho" and "The Royal Scam" were my two favourites. Today, I'm playing the entire 4 CD box set in tribute to Mr. Becker. He was the co-writer of an amazing body of brilliant music.

Funny, their music got better as I got smarter!

Intelligent, sophisticated, nostalgic and forward thinking all within the incredibly crowded and musically talented era they came from. This stuff ages better than any pop/rock music I can think of.

Fine Fine music, never got old, from Aja back to St Louis Toddle oh, and Daddy don't live in that New York City no more.

I started at You gottu walk it, and have not stopped play their collection since I heard the news.
A truly sad day.
RIP Walter Becker.

Back
Top Bottom