Want bang for your buck? Rent a Bobcat!

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
If you're a construction type you may find this to be old hat but I'm excited about it.

Only in America can you walk into a rental place and come out with a 6000 lb diesel powered toy for the whole weekend for $236 (tax included). :thmbsp:

The wife and I bought some property and needed to move a dirt pile. I started with the wheelbarrow and in 30 minutes realized I was going to need more power.
attachment.php

I've driven a forklift before and they said it isn't too hard to run one of these.

attachment.php

We also had an eroding spot along the driveway in need of 3-6" gravel, and back home we have a gravel driveway that needed refreshing. Had the gravel truck deliver to both places (4 tons each, total $160), borrowed a heavy truck and trailer to haul the machine, and had a blast doing our own work and saving hundreds.

attachment.php

Ready for new porch construction!

We used 7.5 of the allotted 8 hrs. on the meter doing the three big chores and some smaller things and goofing around. And 3 gal. of diesel. Highly recommended for you DIYers willing to try something new.

They do weigh 6000 lb so you need the right rig to haul one.

attachment.php

We bought ourselves a BBQ lunch at the country cafe down the road to celebrate our great savings. :thmbsp:

Attachments

• August 19_09 035.jpg
    August 19_09 035.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 191
  • August 19_09 027.jpg
    August 19_09 027.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 192
  • August 19_09 052.jpg
    August 19_09 052.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 193
  • August 19_09 047.jpg
    August 19_09 047.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 192
Yep.. you gotta love a bobcat.. I worked on them for many years, and have probably several hundred hours of seat time in them... I never once considered working on them or running them work... more like play time..

It was a little stressful the first time out, so I wouldn't say it was actually play, but next time it will be I'm sure. I'm just happy I didn't crash into anything, smoosh anyone, or roll the thing over! The controls are really fine, I'm impressed with the engineering.

I've always thought those looked like fun. Then I've thought about how much damage I could do in a short period of time ...

I've always thought those looked like fun. Then I've thought about how much damage I could do in a short period of time ...

I can attest to the damage.. SUPPOSEDLY a guy that I was doing some work for (digging out an area for a basement extension) had the area marked for utilities.. I ended up ripping out a 2" gas line.. SCARED THE HELL OUTTA ME... and once it was fixed.. guess who had to pay the bill.. I was pissed, and I learned.. NEVER trust anyone.. ALWAYS have it checked yourself..

OH.. and if ya think bobcats are cool, there's not much more fun then a CASE backhoe... LAst time I used one of those I was putting in a septic system and had to dig 1000 ft of lateral

I've gotta find a reason to rent one of these. I've watched them in action with a professional @ the controls, it was like watching a choreographed dance routine.

I presently have a 25 horse tractor with a front end loader. It weighs about 2500 lbs. It does a good job, but due to its lack of serious weight it cannot hold a candle to a Bobcat. I was always planning to rent one before I got the tractor. I would still like to put my hands on one just to see what they are like.

I was pretty inefficient running it, I think with more practice I'd get better at the scooping part. Even so we got stuff done that would have taken a month of Sundays. I was a little worried about working under that porch overhang next to the shack wall, but I never even kissed it.

I've gotta find a reason to rent one of these. I've watched them in action with a professional @ the controls, it was like watching a choreographed dance routine.

Yeah, that's how my dad is w/his...He's not a pro, but he's pretty good...And yeah, I kinda think he gets a kick outta foolin' w/it, too...Best way to learn is kinda watch somebody who knows what they're doin' w/one, then just get in it, grab it & growl, & go...My dad's 80, I think we've had one for nearly 30 years...

Want bang for your buck? Rent a Bobcat!

That's what the older guys will do next weekend while their ex-wives are at the Cougar Convention in Palo Alto.:D

Bobcat is fun but as Similost says a backhoe is an amazing tool. Just remember the brakes usually don't work much. If you get on a slope and find that out you gotta keep a cool head and use the bucket or the hoe for a brake. They pick up speed fast. That really should be a test for high stress jobs to see if you've got what it takes to think under fire. Maybe throw in a cliff at the end of the slope.:D

From a real life experience. Including cliff!

Last edited:
Cougar convention in Palo Alto??

Oh I see. Wife goes to cougar convention. Husband digs hole in absent neighbor's back yard with backhoe - leaving much spare time to drink beer. Wife returns late at night and husband lovingly helps her settle into the fresh excavation, for the night or whatever.

Remember ... call before you dig for utility markouts.

Yes they are a hoot to operate I too have hundreds of hours of seat time in all varietys of Bobcats with all different attachments. Very versatile little machines, with the correct attachments you can do just about anything from clearing trees to hammering up foundations and boulders to ....well there is quite a list! Glad to see you got the job done the easy way and had fun doing it, the right tool for the job.

OH.. the one bobcat job I always hated.. clearing snow.. we didn't have the cab attachments or the heaters on them and I HATE the cold...

Yep, Bobcats are lots of fun. :thmbsp: I worked for a paper mill in N.H. for a month or 2 several years ago, & drove a Bobcat & a modded forklift. I only really screwed up once, & it wasn't bad at all, went down a ramp going forward with a heavy load of wet paper, & tipped forward. No kinda damage, just had a mess to clean up, but it was right in the middle of a big order, so bad timing, lol. :D There were a few other vehicles I never drove, that looked fun too.

Back
Top Bottom