Want to know what speakers you are using for your McIntosh Gear

I love the Chinese actress Gongli as well (hope my wife won't see this though) - just kid.

My aunt is mating Mc with Tannoy 15 incher 2 way - with the tweeter in the middle, and what synergy!

In fact, I recommended such system to world famous conductor Maestro Jung Myung-Whun, and he said it sounds better than live! ...and he conducts some of the world's best orchestras around the globe!

But, alas they are very pricey as you know - Tannoy concentrics...

I think you can get similar performance from JBLs if you choose the right model, and get lucky on used market, for a fraction of the price of Tannoys - they don't show up often with good prices on used markets, since everyone seems to know their true value...

Perhaps you might want to hear these JBLs on youtube, if you have a nice computer based system, you might be able to get a sense of the sound... Kenrick JBL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ty5sMCmVo

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll ever see a stand-alone solid state Mcintosh amp <300 watts? The current product lineup seems to reflect a stance that lower power needs are best served with integrateds. There's probably something to that, but if there was a modern version of something like an MC202 or MC162 I'd buy it. Seems like it would be a good thing to pair with a D100 as a preamp.

I have noticed this as well and agree with you 100%. I have an MC162 and C15 right now. I am considering a D100 but the lack of an amp at that power range has really held me off in the decision. I can understand their reason in that the market would probably be pretty small for that product but it would be great to have the option.

As listed below, Joseph Audio RM33si Mk. II's. I can't really imagine anything that would be a worthwhile upgrade from these speakers in my home. There are no faults I can detect. It's just pure, clean music out of these speakers. The sweet spot is huge.
I actually dialed the bass back a little, which is a first for me. The bass traps on the front wall and a corner trap may have something to do with it. No nasty peaks or nulls anywhere in the listening area.

Tannoy Windsors. These are the baby Buckinghams and are quite rare. One 10 inch gold dual concentric high frequency driver, one 12 inch gold woofer.

My final Decision

At last, I paired my MA7900 with Focal Aria 936. I love the clarity and the piano sound. Look forward to hearing the difference after break-in.

P.S. Can anyone share with me what is physics behind the break-in process?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom