Want to know what speakers you are using for your McIntosh Gear

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by HKJDH, May 7, 2014.

1. JosephH

JosephH AK Subscriber Subscriber

MX-132, MC2205, ADS L1530 main 2 channel, ADS L1590/2 rear surround when watching concert videos in DTS.

2. CDinMB

CDinMB Member

2- MC30s to Klipsch LaScala Industrials with Crites crossovers.

Wally1955 likes this.
  3. geespot

geespot PUT it IN MY POCKET

KEF Q700

4. L-82

L-82 Well-Known Member

IMG_0340.JPG Since I last poster here (2015) now changed the 2505 and the c28 for Mc2105 a C33 pre running through ZU omens amazing sound.

5. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

JBL 4311's
    fed from MX110 and MC240

Wally1955 likes this.
  6. Bubbalouie

Bubbalouie Active Member

With our listening room at 11ft X 14ft, I am using the Focal 806V and S-700 Focal stands. For a small room, the Focals are the perfect combo.

7. grochon

grochon AK Subscriber Subscriber

MA6600-->Ohm 2000

8. USA Soccer

USA Soccer Well-Known Member

McIntosh XR50 on stands.

9. DancingBlue

DancingBlue AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

10. rjw1678

rjw1678 AK Subscriber Subscriber

MC225 to a pair of Klipsch La Scalas

Wally1955 likes this.
  11. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

XRT-30`s tr-iamp`d with 4 mono`d MC 275 Mk IVs for highs/mids, and 2 MC 1201s for the main living room system.

XRT-18`s in bedroom driven with 2 more MC 1201`s with 2 Velodyne ULD series II 15" 400 watt active subs taking care of the deep bottom end..

DQ-10`s in sunroom powered by either a pair of MC-30`s(or MC-225, or whatever tuber is in rotation) via a original C 22 when I need a tube fix, or switched over via a separate line level & 30 amp spkr. relay auto switch box`s to a MC 2205 & C 27 for daily driving..
    Also supplemented with a pair of Velodyne ULD series II subs picking up where the DQ-10`s roll off on the bottom end..

Minimus 7`s + 12" Cerwin Vega passive 12" sub driven by MA 6100 in tech work shop for background all day tunes..

12. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Bill - tell us about the XRT30s. You're the only person I've ever heard of using them.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  13. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

mx110 to mc 240 to JBL4311

14. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Well-Known Member

Plus one on @damacman comment lets hear about the XRT30s your Triamp experience. Plus what you are using for preamp of the main and bedroom system. Curious if multiroom control.

I have McIntosh line arrays in main XR290 and XR19 and bedroom XRT20 too. Have not set up MC2500s monoblocks for bedroom but may have too just because they are lying unused.

15. Bill Ferris

Well damacman, all of my friends(audiophools, myself included, seem to think they sound excellent, especially when I upgraded from biamp`g from Crown DC-300 II`s for the mid/tweeter line arrays to first 2 MC-275, then 2 more a month later as, 2 couldn`t keep up with the MC-1201`s at "realistic" SPL when desired..

What really made this setup shine was replacing the original digital crossover with a much, much higher performance digital one that when it`s time alignment program activated using my B&K measurement mic..
    Of course, this was done after physically tweaking the speaker placement running straight from the 1201`s for best sound staging first..

The final icing on the cake was when I purchased a Integra HT preamp and let it do it`s EQ/time alignment program.
    Afterwards the speakers disappeared past the wall even more so..
    And Blue Ray Pure Audio DVD sounded like the performers where right 10~15` in front with an enveloping sound stage in the Direct feed Stereo setting of the Integra.

From 1990 until 2003(when I bought the XRT-30`s) I was running XRT-22`s in a bi-amp mode with Crown Power Tech 3`s for the cabs and the DC-300 II`s for the columns supplemented with 2 Velodyne ULD II 15.. Back in those days I had to manually electronically tune and align the first digital crossovers/31 band White EQ`s with my Ivey IE 30 A RTA..

Those XRT 22`s sounded excellent, but their cabinet`s mid range crossover point wasn`t what I considered ideal and I didn`t wish to start hacking up $ 10,000.00 speakers.. I love them..

Kind regards Sir, OKB

16. Bill Ferris

No multi-room control in any of the 5 room stand alone A/V setups, but some select rooms have wireless remote control repeaters to "talk" to the rack..
    C-220 in bedroom..
    Integra is "audio" selector for living rooms system..
    I have a C 37 in living rooms rack, but only use for audio source selection to feed all 5 rooms in house via a high quality Belden Media twist Cat 6 + feed for all rack audio sources with baluns..

My set up it somewhat complicated but very versatile..

No WAF needed, never have, and probably never will, as my whole house is a "Man Cave" !!

I am a retired audio electronics bench tech/FOH sound engineer..

I have previously posted pictures of my sonic sickness.

17. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

@Velocityboat - who doesn't need a pair of MC2500s for their bedroom system?

@Bill Ferris - Thanks for the detailed response. You just never see the XRT30s. I just run my XRT22s totally stock and couldn't be happier.

18. 62caddy

62caddy AK Subscriber Subscriber

Main:

Front:
    MC2125 > Snell J7
    MC2125> Polk RTiA7
    Rear:
    MC2155> Polk RTiA9

Vintage:

MAC1500 or MC2505 or MC240 or (2) MC30 > Boston Acoustics T1000 II or Altec Model 14.

19. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Well-Known Member

Maybe you were getting floor bounce from the mid on XRT22 at half wave distance you did not like. Thick rug helps. Curious what bothered you in crossover?

But I did notice complete smoothness with XR290 versus my 19s and 20s when stacked where there was a voice waiver. The 19 has split woofer cross overs of XRT22 one at 150 and other at 250 then 1500 Hz. My XRT20 is early model with woofers crossing at 250hz and 1500 to tweeters I think it is very smooth. Where as XR290 is butter smooth with 400 Hz and 1300 Hz Crossovers

Do you notice crossover issues on XRT18 or did you change?

Running XRT18 with a custom crossover? Or the stock 350 and 1500 Hz, If so what?

Do you still have XRT30 with stock
    Crossover Frequencies 80Hz 1,700Hz ?

Bill Ferris likes this.
  20. Bill Ferris