Want to know what speakers you are using for your McIntosh Gear

MX-132, MC2205, ADS L1530 main 2 channel, ADS L1590/2 rear surround when watching concert videos in DTS.

IMG_0340.JPG Since I last poster here (2015) now changed the 2505 and the c28 for Mc2105 a C33 pre running through ZU omens amazing sound.

With our listening room at 11ft X 14ft, I am using the Focal 806V and S-700 Focal stands. For a small room, the Focals are the perfect combo.

XRT-30`s tr-iamp`d with 4 mono`d MC 275 Mk IVs for highs/mids, and 2 MC 1201s for the main living room system.

XRT-18`s in bedroom driven with 2 more MC 1201`s with 2 Velodyne ULD series II 15" 400 watt active subs taking care of the deep bottom end..

DQ-10`s in sunroom powered by either a pair of MC-30`s(or MC-225, or whatever tuber is in rotation) via a original C 22 when I need a tube fix, or switched over via a separate line level & 30 amp spkr. relay auto switch box`s to a MC 2205 & C 27 for daily driving..
Also supplemented with a pair of Velodyne ULD series II subs picking up where the DQ-10`s roll off on the bottom end..

Minimus 7`s + 12" Cerwin Vega passive 12" sub driven by MA 6100 in tech work shop for background all day tunes..

XRT-30`s tr-iamp`d with 4 mono`d MC 275 Mk IVs for highs/mids, and 2 MC 1201s for the main living room system.

XRT-18`s in bedroom driven with 2 more MC 1201`s with 2 Velodyne ULD series II 15" 400 watt active subs taking care of the deep bottom end..

DQ-10`s in sunroom powered by either a pair of MC-30`s(or MC-225, or whatever tuber is in rotation) via a original C 22 when I need a tube fix, or switched over via a separate line level & 30 amp spkr. relay auto switch box`s to a MC 2205 & C 27 for daily driving..
Also supplemented with a pair of Velodyne ULD series II subs picking up where the DQ-10`s roll off on the bottom end..

Minimus 7`s + 12" Cerwin Vega passive 12" sub driven by MA 6100 in tech work shop for background all day tunes..
Bill - tell us about the XRT30s. You're the only person I've ever heard of using them.

Plus one on @damacman comment lets hear about the XRT30s your Triamp experience. Plus what you are using for preamp of the main and bedroom system. Curious if multiroom control.

I have McIntosh line arrays in main XR290 and XR19 and bedroom XRT20 too. Have not set up MC2500s monoblocks for bedroom but may have too just because they are lying unused.

Bill - tell us about the XRT30s. You're the only person I've ever heard of using them.
Well damacman, all of my friends(audiophools, myself included, seem to think they sound excellent, especially when I upgraded from biamp`g from Crown DC-300 II`s for the mid/tweeter line arrays to first 2 MC-275, then 2 more a month later as, 2 couldn`t keep up with the MC-1201`s at "realistic" SPL when desired..

What really made this setup shine was replacing the original digital crossover with a much, much higher performance digital one that when it`s time alignment program activated using my B&K measurement mic..
Of course, this was done after physically tweaking the speaker placement running straight from the 1201`s for best sound staging first..

The final icing on the cake was when I purchased a Integra HT preamp and let it do it`s EQ/time alignment program.
Afterwards the speakers disappeared past the wall even more so..
And Blue Ray Pure Audio DVD sounded like the performers where right 10~15` in front with an enveloping sound stage in the Direct feed Stereo setting of the Integra.

From 1990 until 2003(when I bought the XRT-30`s) I was running XRT-22`s in a bi-amp mode with Crown Power Tech 3`s for the cabs and the DC-300 II`s for the columns supplemented with 2 Velodyne ULD II 15.. Back in those days I had to manually electronically tune and align the first digital crossovers/31 band White EQ`s with my Ivey IE 30 A RTA..

Those XRT 22`s sounded excellent, but their cabinet`s mid range crossover point wasn`t what I considered ideal and I didn`t wish to start hacking up $ 10,000.00 speakers.. I love them..

Kind regards Sir, OKB

Plus one on @damacman comment lets hear about the XRT30s your Triamp experience. Plus what you are using for preamp of the main and bedroom system. Curious if multiroom control.

I have McIntosh line arrays in main XR290 and XR19 and bedroom XRT20 too. Have not set up MC2500s monoblocks for bedroom but may have too just because they are lying unused.

No multi-room control in any of the 5 room stand alone A/V setups, but some select rooms have wireless remote control repeaters to "talk" to the rack..
C-220 in bedroom..
Integra is "audio" selector for living rooms system..
I have a C 37 in living rooms rack, but only use for audio source selection to feed all 5 rooms in house via a high quality Belden Media twist Cat 6 + feed for all rack audio sources with baluns..

My set up it somewhat complicated but very versatile..

No WAF needed, never have, and probably never will, as my whole house is a "Man Cave" !!

I am a retired audio electronics bench tech/FOH sound engineer..

I have previously posted pictures of my sonic sickness.

Main:

Front:
MC2125 > Snell J7
MC2125> Polk RTiA7
Rear:
MC2155> Polk RTiA9

Vintage:

MAC1500 or MAC4100 > Boston Acoustics T1000 II or Altec Model 14.

Last edited:
Those XRT 22`s sounded excellent, but their cabinet`s mid range crossover point wasn`t what I considered ideal and I didn`t wish to start hacking up $ 10,000.00 speakers.. I love them..

Kind regards Sir, OKB

Maybe you were getting floor bounce from the mid on XRT22 at half wave distance you did not like. Thick rug helps. Curious what bothered you in crossover?

But I did notice complete smoothness with XR290 versus my 19s and 20s when stacked where there was a voice waiver. The 19 has split woofer cross overs of XRT22 one at 150 and other at 250 then 1500 Hz. My XRT20 is early model with woofers crossing at 250hz and 1500 to tweeters I think it is very smooth. Where as XR290 is butter smooth with 400 Hz and 1300 Hz Crossovers

Do you notice crossover issues on XRT18 or did you change?

Running XRT18 with a custom crossover? Or the stock 350 and 1500 Hz, If so what?

Do you still have XRT30 with stock
Crossover Frequencies 80Hz 1,700Hz ?

Maybe you were getting floor bounce from the mid on XRT22 at half wave distance you did not like. Thick rug helps. Curious what bothered you in crossover?

But I did notice complete smoothness with XR290 versus my 19s and 20s when stacked where there was a voice waiver. The 19 has split woofer cross overs of XRT22 one at 150 and other at 250 then 1500 Hz. My XRT20 is early model with woofers crossing at 250hz and 1500 to tweeters I think it is very smooth. Where as XR290 is butter smooth with 400 Hz and 1300 Hz Crossovers

Do you notice crossover issues on XRT18 or did you change?

Running XRT18 with a custom crossover? Or the stock 350 and 1500 Hz, If so what?

Do you still have XRT30 with stock
Crossover Frequencies 80Hz 1,700Hz ?

Back
Top Bottom