Wanted one Linn expert!!

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
I am having one hell of a time getting my "new" Linn Basik set up properly. I have the manual but it might as well be in Chinese for all the help its been. After getting what I think is the proper balancing, tracking weight and bias the tonearm can't be sitting properly. The tone arm lift isn't preventing the tonearm from falling when its removed from its rest. And yes the tonearm lifter is in the up position but its not doing anything. I've tried adjusting the arm height to no avail.

Mike

Is the following of help??
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=vinyl&n=103978&highlight=Linn+cueing&session=

You're actually not having trouble settting up the table but the ARM--you'd be having the same problems if the arm was on a LP12, a Heybrook TT-2 or whatever. This might seem nit-picking but your web-searching might be more fruitful searching for "Akito cueing," "Linn damping" or similar avenues???

TY
I read some of the suggestions on Vinyl Asylum which suggest raising the tonearm lift---am I correct that it's HIGH enough, but doesn't lower arm slowly????? Changing oil would address SLOWNESS of descent, but height would be a different matter.

Last edited:
I talked to Mike on ICQ about this and his "falling" comment threw me off as well. Must be Canadian talk.

It sounds like the lift lever is not raising the tonearm at all. Not high enough to hit clear the platter and then bleeding down.

Sounds to me like the hydraulics in the dampening might need work or the fluid has dried up. That is if it uses it. My TT's have usually used the viscosity of the fluid or a vacuum from the precision fit to raise and slowly lower the arm. That is my take.

Anyone speak Canadian and can translate??

Rich

Well I'm gonna assume the viscous damping fluid didn't dry up in a 2 day trip from Michigan to Buffalo.So the fluid must have escaped somewhere during shipping. The cueing lever worked fine for Dave but it was "busted" when Kam first used it. Hopefully a trip to my Linn dealer will solve this little problem and also get everything aligned and weighted properly so I can enjoy the table.

Mike

ProAc,
Bet JiffyLube would be cheaper, and they give you an air freshener for your car. But they'll probably tell you your air filter needs changed!

TY

Back
Top Bottom