Wanting to upgrade...

spiralmind

Hello, all. Can you guys recommend an integrated amp that would be an upgrade in power and sound quality from a Denon PMA-520? I'm looking to power my Bose 401's and Klipsch R-15s (don't laugh) from the same receiver, if possible (which would probably mean a very low impedance, as the 401s are rated at 4 ohms). No thoughts about getting rid of the Denon, as it is a really great sounding amp. Just looking for something with more power, clarity and maybe a built in DAC (though there already is a DAC here). Suggestions about higher end Denon units would be welcome, too.
I listen to mostly jazz, older progressive rock and some classic rock. Bi-amping is another option, but that would probably be too costly at this stage in time. Thanks!

A Marantz pm-17 or 17II would be a nice upgrade. Or are you seeking new w/DAC only?

Wow that Marantz really sells for too much now.
Well I can make a recommendation to join this site for $25. This will allow you access to the for sale section, called Bartertown. You can post a wtb there or search the classifieds. The best stuff on the 'net for the fairest prices.

Wow that Marantz really sells for too much now.
Well I can make a recommendation to join this site for $25. This will allow you access to the for sale section, called Bartertown. You can post a wtb there or search the classifieds. The best stuff on the 'net for the fairest prices.
Okay, thanks very much!

What is your budget? If you would consider separate amp/preamp. Look for a Luxman C-03 M-03 combo.
Good to 2 ohms.

What is your budget? If you would consider separate amp/preamp. Look for a Luxman C-03 M-03 combo.
Good to 2 ohms.
Really haven't decided yet, just checking out reviews and suggestions right now (along with prices). Any pre-amp would probably be out of my price range at this point, however.

what is your price point?
500 and under. Trying to work my way up slowly.

Let's change that though, thinking about going a bit more simply at this time. What would you recommend for just the Bose speakers that would be very warm sounding? Marantz and Pioneer come to mind, but no specifics, would like at least 100 wpc. I'm running a Pioneer VSX-455 at this time that was given to me by my girlfriend's brother. It's not a true stereo receiver but pulls more wattage (115 wpc, I think) than my Denon PMA-520 and has a much warmer sound.

Last edited:
have you considered adcom? i have used several different amp-pre amp combos and love the sound. if you have the money, the 5800 will produce a very warm tube-ish sound.

If you like your Denon, you can go with its bigger brother the PMA-1060, which is an impressive piece of equipment.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I went with a Marantz PM5005, then bought a Peachtree DACitx a couple of months later. Not a lot of money spent by any means, but the sound quality is amazing enough to keep me at home instead of buying any more CDs.

Back
Top Bottom