Warm sounding speakers

punprankster

Can anyone recommend a warm sounding speaker or a speaker company whose sound signature tends towards warm? I just want to try and see how one would sound on my system. Mostly I've had neutral or bright sounding ones and want to see if they would make a difference.

Thanks!

Vintage AR and KLH.

AR2, AR2a, AR2ax, AR3, AR3a,

KLH 12, KLH 5, KLH 23, KLH 17

I'm sure there are others, but I have some of these and would call them warm compared to Infinity and Klipsch.

FWIW, speakers from the same company can sound completely different, particularly from different eras.

From my limited experience:
Jensen-era Advent 2 ways (just right, esp. on the tweeter)
Realistic Optimus 5B, Nova 8B, and Optimus 1 (solid bass, more mid-rage weighted, but still very nice)
Bose 601-II (hugely solid low end, very nicely balanced mids and highs, a favorite)
Grafyx SP series (may need a little high-end attenuation w/ the treble knob, but the low end is there in spades)

I agree with the Optimus speakers.... Also, the Optimus 7 speakers and wharfedale 90, 70. or 60. All are warm sounding.

Vienna Acoustics speakers were some of the warmest, and most musical speakers I've heard. They're not exactly vintage, or won't be cheap, but they are worth looking for.

Pick up one of the first-generation Elac B5 or B6 deals that are on lately since the introduction of the B5.2 and B6.2.

I have the B6 and am very happy.

The Unifi series are a little brighter, but I would still call them warm. Nice!

Any B&W should work fine. I'm currently using a pair of B&W DM302s, driven by the clinically bright sounding Yamaha RX-V663 AVR (Pure Direct stereo mode). When I used the RX-V663 with the brutally transparent JBL titanium dome family, the combo sounded fatiguing in the long run, especially in music. However, the warm sounding DM302s successfully mask the otherwise bright-sounding Yamaha AVR. Everything sounds organic, sweet, and some songs even sound too sweet for their own good.

I've never been a B&W fan, so the DM302s are probably the only B&W I ever have. However, a friend of mine told me such sweet, artificially organic sound is actually B&W signature sound, so I guess any B&W should be fine if you're looking for such warm-sounding speakers.

The Realistic models listed above could be a good start to see if that's really what you want long term. It should cost you less and they do sound pretty good. I'm a fan of the 1B's. And with some crossover work they can sound even better. I have a small set of 2B's I use in my garage system. They tend to be a bit too warm.

From a short time adopted by me.... IMF TLS 50. Geezus are these sweet and fullfilling at low volume.
Surprisingly paired with a... LXI AM2400... this integrated has the low bass eq function.

Incredible while all upstairs are to bed and this guy is late appreciating Enya's music.

Attachments

• DSCN3043.JPG
    DSCN3043.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom