WARNING!! WARNING!! Do NOT buy a plasma(flourescent) TV!!

Have to say, after owning CRTs by Sony, Panasonic, Philips and JVC the current TV I have - a Bush 27" LCD HD-ready panel - is the best I've had. Picture and sound are really good for TV stuff, and it makes an excellent display to go with my Panasonic HT system. Its not a big name TV but it certainly does the job very well indeed.

The airport Plasma's are indeed on 24/7 BUT- how often are they replaced? they may not last and the airport will certainly swap them out when needed.

I was just getting ready to plunk down some hard earned dollars for a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma ... now I am not so sure ....

Bobby Brady said:
trying to warn anybody that may care to know what others have learned. I genuinely appreciate your many efforts to help other people. You impress me as being someone with very good judgement.
I expect that at least one or more of those that believe you may be wrong about these newer products are in some way connected to the insane profits recieved from all the new junk that the seemingly robotic modern consumers automatically believe is better than what they had. It seems to me that most consumers use a judgement level I would expect from the average teenager. My oh my how easy it is for the rich to get richer!
I think that most of those who purchase these high priced TV's do so mostly for that very common way of trying to impress other people for the wrong reasons. Multitudes of people seem to spend most of their time and money trying to create the illusion of being wealthy. I understand why people do that but I am certain that is is very unhealthy behavior for everbody.

I always enjoy keeping up with the jones...Not !

I bought my Plasma for one reason. Space saving. Didn't see that one listed in your reasoning for buying one.

grumpy said:
I always enjoy keeping up with the jones...Not !

I bought my Plasma for one reason. Space saving. Didn't see that one listed in your reasoning for buying one.

Damn, I thought you bought it to impress me.

One thing I forgot to mention was WHY we (my Wife and I) purchased the 50 in. plasma...My Wife hated the foot print of the 65 in. RPTV. I was actually pretty happy w/ the RPTV Mits.

I also forgot to list one of the "cons" vs. the pros of a plasma and it IS the price. Though this is coming down, the latest 50 in. Pannys are almost 60% of what I paid, plus they have 60,000 hours to 1/2 brightness and NO BURN IN PROBLEMS.

Believe what you want, but plasmas are GREAT TV's - My fun is YOUR loss. Just the other night the family watched Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride" and it looked fantastic!

Signed, "The Evil Corporate Empire" (Electrical Generation Empire and NOT the Consumer Electronics Empire)

My friend works at at home thetre shop, and says the future for them is projectors!
Cheaper, more reiable. They sell a PILE of them!
Mike

Are there or are there not lighting issues w/ front projectors? Last time I looked into front projectors, you needed a dedicated room for light control. May be things have changed since it's been at least a couple of years since I actually looked into FP.

I do not have the space in my home for a dedicated HT. My family room has to peform Movie, Normal TV and Music listening duties.

Now I know Rear Projection is improving (DLP, CRT - unsure of others, fantastic bang for buck when compairing screen size - I too have had a 65 in. Mits), BUT nobody has mentioned Front Projection for normal viewing under normal light conditions (as far as I can remember)

I've read all the posts in the past, but my memory is also not the best. If you choose not to answer that's okay, you can just stay asleep.

OOPS, My bad...

I assumed "Analogue Lover" was only talking "front projectors". I re-read his post and he could have easily meant both or even just REAR.

Never mind J-Neutron, I agree "things have changed".

Last edited:
My 42" Panny HD Plasma is 9 months old and is a joy. Really enjoy TNT in HD as well as others. SD is very good and DVD's still put a smile on my face. No dead pixels. Maybe there are products that might need a warning but a good plasma is not one.

Trusting a 60 year technology!

I will stick with my CRT big screen for a few more years before buying any of the new sets---there all to new to be reliable, as of now--stick with 60 year technology for much better reliabillity, and I've had my 55 inch CRT rear projection for ten years--no burn in and no problems whatsoever! I am very very happy with my set. the bird :yes:

Yeah, I'm getting ready to trade in my 2004 Expedition for a horse drawn carriage because I hear they're more reliable than these new fancy cars... :sigh: . Fact: Plasma and LCD monitors have been around for many years already. They have reached 6th generation consumer models now. Their reliability is just as good as ANY CRT based set. As a matter of fact you can walk into any repair shop and you'll see pleny of CRT sets waiting for repair (oh the irony). Plasma's aren't the new toy any more, they've paid their dues - so to speak. If any one person says he wants to wait for this "new technology" to improve before he buys, well then he'll never buy because new technology is always on the horizon. What am I waiting for? I'm waiting for all cell phones to be tied together with a string. I never had a dropped call when I used 2 cans and a string back in school.

Jimmy

Last edited:
JimmyNeutron said:
Yeah, I'm getting ready to trade in my 2004 Expedition for a horse drawn carriage because I hear they're more reliable than these new fancy cars... :sigh: . Fact: Plasma and LCD monitors have been around for many years already. They have reached 6th generation consumer models now. Their reliability is just as good as ANY CRT based set. Walk into any repair shop and you'll see pleny of CRT sets waiting for repair (oh the irony). Plasma's are the new toy any more, they've paid their dues - so to speak. If any one person says he wants to wait for this "new technology" to improve be he buys, well then he'll never buy because new technology is always on the horizon. What am I waiting for? I'm waiting for all cell phones to be tied together with a string. I never had a dropped call when I used 2 cans and a string back in school.

Jimmy

Following this analogy to it's logical end, I guess I better reconsider my preference for vintage audio as well. Heck, who'd want some old sx-1250 when you can have the very latest home theater setup?

Whatever floats your boat - matters not to me.

The analogy I made is obviously not intended to spell the end for CRT based monitors, but instead to relate that this "new technology", as some people still think it is, is not as bad as they think it is. No one says you can't have your SX-1280 AND your new HT surround sound unit (heck, I've got old and new in my set ups, as well as CRT, LCD, and Plasma monitors). I still hear people talking about not wanting to buy into CD's because they "scratch easily and have to buy a new fancy player". Give me a break! Where have they been hiding for the past 24 years!?! You can have your preference as to which technology you like best, but please, stop with all these false impressions about the technology. I mean in the original post the guy was so unimformed that he thinks plasma is flourescent based!!! The very name of the technology should give you a hint-and-a-half that it's.........drumroll please......PLASMA BASED!!!

Regardless, trying to convince the so few and far inbetween uninformed is like trying to catch a fart in a bottle on a windy day. It ain't gonna happen. Better yet, if you are going to post warnings about something please make sure you've done your homework first. Here on this forum where most of the members have experience with plasma, LCD, DLP, CRT, whatever, you can expect a whipping if you come here pandering ignorences taken from a Best Buy salesperson (or salesminor, whichever you prefer).

Back
Top Bottom