Was itching for HD 600s but

Donal64

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Been learning about headphones and recently acquired AKG-K240s, Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD 558, and yesterday, a pair of Sennheiser HD 555s arrived. I'm listening to them now. I like the open back sound. From reading about all the different headphones, how they sound, the prices, peoples opinions, I had about decided that the best, for me to shoot for, would be the Sennheiser HD 600s. Then, yesterday, I came across this headroom headphone graph comparison tool. Not being real familiar with translating these graphs, it looks to me like the HD 555,558,600 and 650, are all quite similar. The main difference that I see, is that the HD 600 has more treble than the others. Would it be correct to say that the difference in sound of the 555.558. and 650 would be negligible? The HD 600 shows noticeable more treble, but would that translate into significant improvement in sound over the others? Significant enough improvement to plunk down an additional $300? What says the people who have these? Or what say those with an opinion?

Screenshot HD 555, HD 558, HD 600 -2017-10-7 HeadRoom Headphone Graph Comparison Tool.png Screenshot HD 555, HD 558, HD 600, HD 650-2017-10-7 HeadRoom Headphone Graph Comparison Tool.png Screenshot HD 555. HD 558-2017-10-7 HeadRoom Headphone Graph Comparison Tool.png

I think it's like choosing speakers based on specs. In the end, you need to hear them. Since you already have two of those models, do they sound the same to you?

I would say that if you live with the 518/555/558s for a while and then get a pair of 600/650s and a modest amp, you will enjoy the new setup and are likely to appreciate the increased resolution, refinement and detail.

I would also say that if you live with the 600/ 650s and an amp for a couple years then move to the 555/558 and no amp, there will be a noticeable step back if you value detail, texture and air around the instruments.

In my experience, what the 600s have over any other models of (sub-$300) Senns is that extra air around instruments or female voices and an extra ability to hear the recording environment on very well recorded albums.

These are all great choices and no bad options. The 5xx series will work better with phones and laptops and many receivers than the 600/650 will. I wouldn't say an amp is required for use with the 600/650, but an amp will step up their game.

Last edited:
I have the Sennheiser 650s and 700s. The 650s are my everyday pair to use. The 600s/650s have been around a long time for a reason. I don't think you would go wrong with either. Don't get hung up on graphs.

If 600s are so high on your list you might want to consider the 580 as it's pretty much the same headphone. You can even order 600 grills and a 650 cable and fool your friends into thinking you spent a lot of money on cans.

If 600s are so high on your list you might want to consider the 580 as it's pretty much the same headphone. You can even order 600 grills and a 650 cable and fool your friends into thinking you spent a lot of money on cans.
I have checked ebay on occasion, but for the prices I've see, I would rather pay just a bit more and get the 600s. The headphones I have right now are not bad, and the 600s, from what I am seeing would likely be a step up if I choose to upgrade. Problem is, usually , there is no way to demo all the different headphones prior to buying. I may have an opportunity to demo a bunch of headphones next week.

I used to be a headphone junkie, owning TOTL from the big three, Sennheiser, Beyer and AGK, as well as Stax Gammas and custom IEMs and lots more. My 600 clones probably got the most use, but I have to tell you that I am extremely happy with my super cheap Superlux HD681 EVO's. Sonically they are a cross between HD-600's and AKG 701, IMO of course. You might want to give them a try if you don't have a problem with affordability. I have a sneaking suspicion that they use the same Chinese drivers as used by the big three, but who knows.

As luck would have it, I just ordered a pair of 681 EVOs from B&H a couple days ago for less than $35 shipped.

They look to be knockoffs of the AKG 551s. I nearly bought a pair from a friend-ish but I praised them so much, he backed out from selling.

:mad:

:p

Last edited:
As luck would have it, I just ordered a pair of 681 EVOs from B&H a couple days ago for less than $35 shipped.

They look to be knockoffs of the AKG 551s. I nearly bought a pair from a friend-ish but I praised them so much, he back out from selling.

:mad:

:p
They come with cloth "filters" that should be removed. Mine came with an extra set of plush pads and people recommend switching to those as well, which I did.

I'll do it when I receive them.

I'm so out of control right now. Earbuds/headphones and watches.

Donal64,
Don’t want to highjack your thread so can you PM me your thoughts on the Sony’s compared to your others if you have a chance and don’t mind. I only use headphones when traveling for work. I have those and have been thinking about upgrading if I even need to.

I have the Sennheiser 650s and 700s. The 650s are my everyday pair to use. The 600s/650s have been around a long time for a reason. I don't think you would go wrong with either. Don't get hung up on graphs.
Would he be better off passing the 600/650 models in favor of the HD700? The used HD700 do not go for a whole lot more money on ebay.

This past Saturday I was in headphone heaven. Some headphone enthusiasts from another forum had a "can jam"/ meet & greet. These guys live and breathe headphones. Very passionate about headphones and related, and you could not ask to meet nicer people. They all had their headphone collections set up and available for listening to. I mean , there was some seriously high end stuff there. Headphones, DACs , amps. Of course, me being such a newbie, and not having slept real well the night before, it was kinda wasted on me. But I did get exposed. And I did get to demo some HD600, HD650, HD700, and HD800 and a bunch of others. I came away pretty much resolute that I will be going for the HD600s. Man oh man! It all seems like a dream now.

I used to be a headphone junkie, owning TOTL from the big three, Sennheiser, Beyer and AGK, as well as Stax Gammas and custom IEMs and lots more. My 600 clones probably got the most use, but I have to tell you that I am extremely happy with my super cheap Superlux HD681 EVO's. Sonically they are a cross between HD-600's and AKG 701, IMO of course. You might want to give them a try if you don't have a problem with affordability. I have a sneaking suspicion that they use the same Chinese drivers as used by the big three, but who knows.

Superlux is an underrated brand IMO. I have their HD668B model and am very happy with them.

My take on the 700s is unless you REALLY miss that ability for the headphone to create a bit of a soundstage and have given up on headphones because of this, the 600 and 650 sound better than the 700s. Granted, the 600s were extremely broken in and the 650s were fairly broken while the 700s probably had less than 30 hours on them.

For my wants and needs, I cannot imagine going for the 700s over the 600s or esp the 650s. Used prices might slightly change my way of thinking, but I doubt it.

I did get the 681 EVOs in the other day. I've switched to the velvet type pads which I do prefer but have not removed the filters. I let them run for a couple days to allow any sort of break-in.

Overall, they are not bad, esp for the price, but I don't believe for a second that they are truly on par with the 701/702s, HD600/650s or the 880s. Not in the same ballpark. The Q701s and the 650s have much more texture and more detail going on. No chance they are the same drivers.

That's not to say they aren't nice because they are. I even recommended them to a co-worker just today. He uses a lower end, smaller Senn and we said he would like something with better sound. Larger was OK but he wanted something cheap that he wouldn't mind if it got damaged and 681s were the first ones I recommended and I think he will get them.

I did get the 681 EVOs in the other day. I've switched to the velvet type pads which I do prefer but have not removed the filters. I let them run for a couple days to allow any sort of break-in.

Overall, they are not bad, esp for the price, but I don't believe for a second that they are truly on par with the 701/702s, HD600/650s or the 880s. Not in the same ballpark. The Q701s and the 650s have much more texture and more detail going on. No chance they are the same drivers.

That's not to say they aren't nice because they are. I even recommended them to a co-worker just today. He uses a lower end, smaller Senn and we said he would like something with better sound. Larger was OK but he wanted something cheap that he wouldn't mind if it got damaged and 681s were the first ones I recommended and I think he will get them.

I think the filter removal is more important than going to the plushies, give it a try, it literally takes a few seconds and is easily reversible.

Back
Top Bottom