Was there a time when silver face gear was considered obsolete?

Now for fun lets do a search for what $3500 is worth today if invested. I used a historical calculator for the S&P 500 and inputted $3500 invested Jan1, 1965. Its value today would be $589,845. Looks like that is a better return on investment than a classic car.

https://us.spindices.com/indexology/djia-and-sp-500/birthday-calculator

Finding a historical calculator that goes that far back is actually quite difficult. That is the one I used, but there might be others, and the numbers returned could be different if it used the Dow Jones.

That was fun.

Cheers
Mister Pig
All depends on what car you bought.If it's a Shelby or 70 Hemi Cuda they go for well over a million. Then there's taxes and brokerage fees on your investments.I'd rather have the cars,a lot more fun and easier to pick up chicks with.

Last edited:
The silver faces were replaced by the black, plastic, Japanese receivers that were considered "sexy" . Smooth, clean, unadorned with a good WAF! Invisible is better for women. Of course, black panels and dark grey lettering is illegible in a dark room.
American equipt. for American people !!
Big clunky FUNCTIONAL knobs and switches are easier to find and use. i love them.

All depends on what car you bought.If it's a Shelby or 70 Hemi Cuda they go for well over a million. Then there's taxes and brokerage fees on your investments.I'd rather have the cars,a lot more fun and easier to pick up chicks with.

Ok if you are going to pick specialty models of those cars i can pick my stocks.

Let me buy shares of Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon at their IPO price. If you bought 100 shares of Microsoft in 1986...not 1965, at $21 each it would be worth 3/4 million. And if you add another 20 years of earnings it would make that million dollars look like lemonade stand money.

https://www.networkworld.com/articl...ght-100-shares-of-microsoft-25-years-ago.html

And as far of brokerage fees if you had an indexing fund or spyder you would pay minimal fees till you pay your capital gains on the sale.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Last edited:
Ok if you are going to pick specialty models of those cars i can pick my stocks.

Let me buy shares of Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon at their IPO price. If you bought 100 shares of Microsoft in 1986...not 1965, at $21 each it would be worth 3/4 million. And if you add another 20 years of earnings it would make that million dollars look like lemonade stand money.

https://www.networkworld.com/articl...ght-100-shares-of-microsoft-25-years-ago.html

And as far of brokerage fees if you had an indexing fund or spyder you would pay minimal fees till you pay your capital gains on the sale.

Cheers
Mister Pig
A lot more dog stocks out there than winners relative to great cars and dogs. But your right returns would be greater if you picked all winners vs. cars.Still cars are more fun.

I own over 20 pieces of gear. A couple have gold faces. A couple more (tube amps) have wood bases. But not a single piece has a silver face.

Back
Top Bottom