Was very cool thing to see and hear a B 17 fly over my house.

Living in Jersey you got to go to 2 air shows.(McGuire AFB) The T-Birds --16c Fighting Falcon and now retired the A-10 Attack plane plus many static displays. They would do faux bombing runs ala Apoxalyspe Now w/ a naphaml line that not close to the audience but you could feel the heat. Much to see there the Bronco observation Cessnas and many more. F-4s, F104 Thundchiefs (THUDS). Now, there was another air show (Navy) at Coney Island showing off Harriers and F/A18s. probably the most versatile aircraft in anybodies airfleet. There also was an air show up in Sussex N.J. w/ war birds, flying circus and I did here this dude who flew a WACO crashed and after that there were no more shows.

So ironic, while out today passing the St Augustine airport, B-17 doing tours. Have not heard it fly over yet but have my fingers crossed.

Well, roadrunnerrx,my past B 17 experience, was some time back, maybe it was around an local NAS airshow time frame, that I DIDN`T attend, nor know about..
It`s not inexpensive to fly a nearly seventy year old 4 engine aviation gas consuming "war bird without financial return these day's for just meandering about boring holes in the sky.

Sorry, you missed what I was so privileged to witness for three afternoon days in a row..
Maybe sometime in the future..

Both Friday and Saturday afternoon at around a 1000 ft. altitude over my house.

The sound is incredible that low, nothing like it. Amazing how much output from those engines, low & rumbling. The Collings Foundation in MA has a B-24 Liberator and it was flying into a local airport. My son was ~8 and we were out in my car with the windows down and sunroof open when it went over us on approach. My son was "DAD DAD WHAT IS HAPPENING???????" and then it went by. After he realized were weren't going to die he though it was pretty cool.

I used to live in Rincon GA which was under the approach to one of the runways at Savannah / Hilton Head Airport. Given the Mighty 8th Museum is located close to the airport often I would hear some WWII military muscle flying over. It was unmistakable and always a thrill for me, I imagined how terrifying it would sound if there were hundreds of these aircraft flying over dropping there payload. It’s odd, the only aircraft I would hear on this particular approach were those mentioned and Gulfstreams which are incredibly quiet.

Local airport had a "Wings and Wheels" event Saturday, the wife and I walked around early (before the rain.) They had a pretty polished B-25 they were selling rides in, $425! Too rich for me. My wife bought me a hat instead. IMG_0003.JPG This big bird was on display and I found out it is based here. I had seen it over our area but it was nice to see it up close. Howard DGA with a 985 P&W engine.

Great thread!

My Dad happens to be a former B-17 pilot. Reading though this thread has been a pleasure for sure. The Collings Foundation country wide tour is always a great thing to see. I was able to make arrangements for Dad to fly in the aircraft some 50 miles a few years back. Here is a link to a public facebook album with some highlights. The Rose of York was his plane and a bit of it's history is noted in the album. Dad is 97 this year and still quite active and independent.

https://www.facebook.com/ratdogheads/media_set?set=a.1126095479060.2018490.1427340524&type=3

My father was a navigator in a B-17F. On his third mission another 17 that was hit by flack, collided with his plane. He had been sitting on the hatch below his position trying in vain to get out.....woke up later, falling, out clear of the plane with no recollection to how he got there (and a significant bump on his head he found out later.) He told the family the fact he woke in time to pull his rip cord firmly seated his belief in God. He was immediately captured and spent 26 months as a "guest", as he put it, of the Germans.
Eventually wound up in the stalag luft 3. He helped as a "penguin", seen in the movie The Great Escape, most all of the Americans were moved out before the escape....he spoke of a 20 mi trek where the Germans moved them, staying ahead of advancing Russian unit late in the war......and of Patton running a tank through the front gate as they were liberated, seeing the General later walking through camp, those pearl handled pistols on his belt.
Pop was always amazed at the B-17, said they would come home with holes in the side you could drive jeeps through.
He passed away last March at 96.
WBK Just got to England.jpg My Father on the far right. He and the rest of them had just arrived in England from the US, that very long flight and the hops to get there.

My father was a navigator in a B-17F. On his third mission another 17 that was hit by flack, collided with his plane. He had been sitting on the hatch below his position trying in vain to get out.....woke up later, falling, out clear of the plane with no recollection to how he got there (and a significant bump on his head he found out later.) He told the family the fact he woke in time to pull his rip cord firmly seated his belief in God. He was immediately captured and spent 26 months as a "guest", as he put it, of the Germans.
Eventually wound up in the stalag luft 3. He helped as a "penguin", seen in the movie The Great Escape, most all of the Americans were moved out before the escape....he spoke of a 20 mi trek where the Germans moved them, staying ahead of advancing Russian unit late in the war......and of Patton running a tank through the front gate as they were liberated, seeing the General later walking through camp, those pearl handled pistols on his belt.
Pop was always amazed at the B-17, said they would come home with holes in the side you could drive jeeps through.
He passed away last March at 96.
View attachment 1186117 My Father on the far right. He and the rest of them had just arrived in England from the US, that very long flight and the hops to get there.

Similar story with my father....he was a pilot on the B-17, shot down over Germany, served over 11 months as POW stalag luft 3. Patton liberated them. He passed away last Nov. at 96!

Theres a b-29 super fortress touring Canada right now.Man ,id love to see that .In 2012 when I was touring out west in South Dakota a b1b lancer went over top of me into an airbase,but I don't remember the name .Maybe starts with an E ?

Sure keeping the MSN tower busy...low fuel, noisy radios, not answering controllers questions...most common is 'is that an experimental?' to which many give 'long' dissertations about what it is...but don't answer the question :)
Ah, owner pride.
Radar gives me a slight chance to race out and snap a pic as it goes by...about the same advance notice as the 'rumble overhead'!
Nice when weather 'cooperates' and as a result I get lots of radial 'noise' overhead - suweeet!!

Attachments

• _1020819  Douglas Oshk  C SM.JPG
    _1020819 Douglas Oshk C SM.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom