WashPo article on Sgt. Pepper's review

bjlefebvre

Thought this was fun. The WashPo went back and interviewed the NY Times reviewer who gave Sgt. Pepper's its one bad review upon release.
In his defense, I kind of agree with his original assessment that Pepper's feels too slapdash at times. I like certain Beatles albums and singles, but I'm one of those who think Revolver was a bigger deal than Sgt. Pepper's and a better album overall (tho Pepper's has some individual songs I think are better than any one on Revolver). Two things muff the article, however. One is that the writer lists "Tomorrow Never Knows" as being on Pepper's, a huge mistake. The other is that they send the reviewer a f'in CROSLEY to listen to the record again. I know the newsroom budget probably wasn't huge enough to send him a serious player, but at that rate, why not just send him a CD?

Never liked it...sounded dated/old fashion on release to me...Paul took the rest of them Beatle boys all back to his past with SPLHCB...
Retro dressed as modern...pure indulgence...

Much more of a Revolver guy myself. SP is a great concept album but my feeling is that it's over rated.

Back
Top Bottom