Watching Bladerunner on Laserdisc...

Lucky......

My Pioneer CLD-M90 bit the dust and that LD Player had the best picture bar none. Then LD video looks great on a 32' color Sylvania TV. Yah, it was a bit of a novelty but it looked just as good as DirectTV....

OK, you guys made me decide to put the Laser Disc into the big system. Looks like the Pioneer CLD-M90 will plug into the Pioneer SC-1222-K. Wonder if it still works" Haven't used it in years.
I love this movie, and can't wait for the new one to come out. I agree with Imanoldee - great death scene. Rutger Hauer has never equaled this role, IMHO.

I agree and when played on my HD TV the PQ is pretty amazing!

AFAIK, the Criterion edition on LD is the exact version that was shown during the limited 1st release in 1982. I saw it but it disappeared before I could see it again. It is violent, startlingly so. The film was re-released a year later and I went to see it again and.. it was not as violent as I remembered. I actually questioned my recall on what I'd seen the year before. It wasn't until the 90s that I borrowed the Criterion copy and there it was, the version I'd seen originally. I've lost track of how many versions there are and which one the Criterion is. At some point I'll research that out and buy it if available on DVD.

I like the way they use the red-eye effect for all the replicants. There has been speculation all along that Deckard was a replicant. One wonders why they didn't have him turn away from the camera at the end and you see his eyes light up red?

One of the best death scenes in SF movies, in my opinion.

IMO, it may be the best death scene from a film, ever. Rutger Hauer should have been catapulted to major star after this performance and gotten an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor at least. I like John Gielgud but he essentially just plays himself in Arthur and broke no new thespian ground. Hauer's performance apparently impressed Anne Rice enough that she wrote the goth-horror The Vampire Lestat with him in mind to play the lead should a film come of it. When I read it I did not know that and Hauer absolutely comes to mind over & over. Instead when a later book of hers was turned into a movie, Interview with the Vampire we got... Tom Cruise as Lestat. Worst casting ever although Jack Reacher fans may disagree.

Seems like PKDick stuff hasn't done well in other mediums, much like Stephen King. Minority Report? OK, I guess, not exceptional. Much like the botched adaption of I, Robot.

A Scanner Darkly was a great film adaption as is the serialized version of The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime; now heading into season 3. Minority Report in no way compares to I, Robot (Title by Asimov & little else.) but agreed that it doesn't follow the story. If anything IMO, the movie is a better version not unlike Blade Runner. I love the film but it barely resembles PKD's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and would probably be more accurately described as "Inspired by the writings of PKD.".

Hey Soundmotor,
Seen any attack ships lately?
I noticed your location in your Avatar, I assume you are referring to this movie, or is it something else?

The quote from Blade Runner.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

One time, while at a thrift, I thought that I had found the soundtrack on LP. It was the laser disc

I got this collectors kit with all the versions released on DVD from Walmart

A cell from the movie
A "origami" unicorn
A spinner car

All in this "Voight Comp test" briefcase
DSC06488.JPG

I also have the soundtrack and the various Vangelis releases

I also have the PC video game

I love the artistry that created the world in this movie

Attachments

• DSC06489.JPG
    DSC06489.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC06490.JPG
    DSC06490.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC06491.JPG
    DSC06491.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
One time I thought that I had found the soundtrack on LP. It was the laser disc

I got this collectors kit with all the versions released on DVD

A cell from the movie
A "origami" unicorn
A spinner car

All in this "Voight Comp test" briefcase
View attachment 947343

I also have the soundtrack and the various Vangelis releases

I love the artistry that created the world in this movie
Wow, where did you find that?..very cool.

AFAIK, the Criterion edition on LD is the exact version that was shown during the limited 1st release in 1982. I saw it but it disappeared before I could see it again. It is violent, startlingly so. The film was re-released a year later and I went to see it again and.. it was not as violent as I remembered. I actually questioned my recall on what I'd seen the year before. It wasn't until the 90s that I borrowed the Criterion copy and there it was, the version I'd seen originally. I've lost track of how many versions there are and which one the Criterion is. At some point I'll research that out and buy it if available on DVD.

My copy does not reference any specific version other than to say it uses the Videoscope format.

Attachments

• IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 6
Rutger Hauer : he was in a movie called Split Second that also featured Ian Dury strangely enough. According to Wikipedia, it cost $7 million to make and took $5.4 million in the box office, so I guess that makes it a flop. I thought it was good when I saw it all those years ago.

Quotes : I try to use "Got the wrong guy pal" and "Tell him I'm eating" whenever I can.

Sean Young as Rachel.jpg

My copy does not reference any specific version other than to say it uses the Videoscope format.

That appears to be the first Criterion version, catalog CC1169L, which I also have. More or less the original theatrical cut, with voiceover.

"Videoscope" just means it's letterbox widescreen, rather than the more common (at the time) pan-and-scan.

The other LD version I have is a two disc (CAV) release of the director's cut, WB 12682, no voiceover. Dolby Surround, too.

Cheers,
Larry B.

I've been listening to my Vangelis CD since watching this movie (not the soundtrack, but I have that as well). It includes this track with Jon Anderson :

I've been listening to my Vangelis CD since watching this movie (not the soundtrack, but I have that as well). It includes this track with Jon Anderson :

Vangelis was considered as a replacement for Rick Wakeman, when Wakeman left YES (or when Moraz left, after he replaced Wakeman - too many chances in the YES membership). But, it seems that Vangelis has a fear of flying, and an aversion to travel (a home body like me), which precluded the chance to become a member of the band. I believe that's when Patrick Moraz was added to the line-up, with the resulting release of Relayer, as Moraz's contribution for the effort. Still, the Jon & Vangelis collaborations were well worth their efforts too.

I think also a mutual decision that Vangelis was best a soloist composer rather than as sideman.

Imposter, with Gary Sinise wasn't too bad, as PKD adaptions go.
I did like the Schwarzenegger version of Total Recall - like Blade Runner, it was pretty much its own film "loosely" based on a PKD story!
Man in the High Castle is fun - tho I do hate the long delay between seasons, I do look forward to Season 3 ...
Minority Report was a good scifi film ... The Adjustment Bureau was odd, but not bad.
... Don't think I've seen Paycheck with Ben Affleck.

A Scanner Darkly was a great film adaption as is the serialized version of The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime; now heading into season 3. Minority Report in no way compares to I, Robot (Title by Asimov & little else.) but agreed that it doesn't follow the story. If anything IMO, the movie is a better version not unlike Blade Runner. I love the film but it barely resembles PKD's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and would probably be more accurately described as "Inspired by the writings of PKD.".

Last edited:
Imposter, with Gary Sinise wasn't too bad, as PKD adaptions go ...
I did like the Schwarzenegger version of Total Recall - like Blade Runner, it was pretty much its own film "loosely" based on a PKD story!
Man in the High Castle is fun - tho I do hate the long delay between seasons, I do look forward to Season 3 ...
Thot Total Recall 4/5th of a good movie with a ridiculous "we are out of time and money, finish it!" ending.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom