Watchmaking?

thefragger

Certified Crazy.
Anyone here practise watchmaking? I'm trying to get myself into it; so far it seems easy, I just need to buy more specialized tools.

Where I'm at right now: this one Seiko I'm restoring for myself (a 7625 movement from 1968) has loose pallet jewels and each of the parts movements that I've bought have the same problem! School's picked up now so I'm delaying the purchase of a pallet jewel setting tool (and shellac?) otherwise I'll never stop!

There's also that 6309-7290 I just got in the mail... replacement parts are on order...

So far, I'm having a blast!

419792_2707448459580_1592865993_n.jpg

424970_2707447979568_485733444_n.jpg

Last edited:
The specialized tool that can be unobtainium for some is good eyesight to make this kind of fine detail work possible...

Looks like a cool project, Philip... have fun!

The specialized tool that can be unobtainium for some is good eyesight to make this kind of fine detail work possible...

Looks like a cool project, Philip... have fun!

Oh yes, but I use magnifiers because even though I'm ever-so-slightly far-sighted (I can still read a book just fine without glasses), I need my magnifier lamp when working on these things.

Thanks Henry--trying to have fun, but I think it's more of me fighting a broken watch, where I'll just get mad at it and sit there for hours trying to fix the thing! :smoke: It's definitely a complex relationship... :D

Wow...Great hobby....looks like a lost art...seems like everything is disposable now...

It's surprising how many guys out there still do this full-time (my local Sears has an in-house watchmaker who has a separate counter on the sales floor!), but when I ask those guys for advise, many are not willing to share tips or methods, so it's a lot of feeling around in the dark for me right now!

Where's your hammer?

I keep that one in the precision tools drawer.

Oh yes, but I use magnifiers because even though I'm ever-so-slightly far-sighted (I can still read a book just fine without glasses), I need my magnifier lamp when working on these things.

Thanks Henry--trying to have fun, but I think it's more of me fighting a broken watch, where I'll just get mad at it and sit there for hours trying to fix the thing! :smoke: It's definitely a complex relationship... :D

I'm going to have to invest in a decent magnifier lamp.. not meaning to hijack the thread, but affordable suggestions are welcome.

I was a watchmaker for many years. I'm far too shaky and my vision is pretty much gone to even attempt it nowadays.

I would be very interested in picking your brain...

I'm going to have to invest in a decent magnifier lamp.. not meaning to hijack the thread, but affordable suggestions are welcome.

I found mine for free, it's a Luxo and the lenses are interchangeable, and at the same time found a head-mounted over-the-eyes magnifier, too. :thmbsp:

Either or, I also have three desk lamps to keep everything illuminated--shadows are my enemy down at this size!

Back
Top Bottom